Receptacle above suspended ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Wiggler

I don't see anything in the NEC that prohibits a receptacle from being installed above a suspended ceiling, but Art. 400 doesn't allow flexible cords to be installed above ceiling.

We have a sign that needs to be powered (12v) by means of a transformer plugged into an outlet. Aesthetically it would look better if the outlet box is above the ceiling. Has anyone had a similar situation?

raider1

Staff member
What type of cord or cable will be used from the plug in transformer to the sign?

You are correct, a receptacle can be mounted above a suspended ceiling you just can't plug in a flexible cord to that receptacle.

Chris

Red Wiggler

Cord type

Cord type

I am not sure what type of cord or the type of insulation the transformers have. We have not received them as of yet.

raider1

Staff member
If the wiring between the transformer and the sign is a class 2 or 3 cable and not a cord type listed in 400.4 you would be OK.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
yet if cord is 4' before transformer then it can not be used. Yet can it be hard wired with a switch as disconnect..

Are you saying the flexible cord can be hard wired above a suspended ceiling?

400.8(2) & (5) prohibit flexible cord from passing though or being concealed within a suspended ceiling regardless of whether or not the flexible cord is plug connected or hard wired.

Chris

M. D.

I see this as a common question.
The 'wallwart' -tranformer plugged into a receptacle is not an issue. Generally the wiring from the secondary side is not a cord. Hence as has been stated this is not a violation.

Question ,..if the space above the ceiling was environmental air space would this "wallwart" need to be in a metal enclosure ?

cschmid

Are you saying the flexible cord can be hard wired above a suspended ceiling?

400.8(2) & (5) prohibit flexible cord from passing though or being concealed within a suspended ceiling regardless of whether or not the flexible cord is plug connected or hard wired.

Chris

I think if you reread I ask the question as I am not into this type of install..

cschmid

You take a plastic J box paint it the color of the ceiling mount it with the face even with the grid face. mount receptacle in it and drill appropriate size hole for the cord to enter it and use a rubber grommet that is painted as well. cut the tile to fit around box and wallah nice install and Building maintenance guy never has to get above the ceiling to deal with it..

Remember minimum is not necessarily the appropriate way and the NEC is not a wiring guide but a set of safety standards.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You take a plastic J box paint it the color of the ceiling mount it with the face even with the grid face. mount receptacle in it and drill appropriate size hole for the cord to enter it and use a rubber grommet that is painted as well. cut the tile to fit around box and wallah nice install and Building maintenance guy never has to get above the ceiling to deal with it..

Remember minimum is not necessarily the appropriate way and the NEC is not a wiring guide but a set of safety standards.

OK, but you still have flexible cord passing through the concealed space of a suspended ceiling.

raider1 said:

cschmid

What flexible cord?

Now I am assuming that we are talking about a sign that hangs from the ceiling grid and we are discussing the transformer type power supply that plugs into the outlet is that correct?

So I suppose we could classify that as concealed in the ceiling..yet it is not part of the ceiling and the cover is exposed so it really is not concealed..the low voltage cord passes through the cover and not the ceiling..But all assumptions as we do not even know the type of sign or nothing else..If sign was small enough we could actually mount it to the cover.

What flexible cord?

Now I am assuming that we are talking about a sign that hangs from the ceiling grid and we are discussing the transformer type power supply that plugs into the outlet is that correct?

So I suppose we could classify that as concealed in the ceiling..yet it is not part of the ceiling and the cover is exposed so it really is not concealed..the low voltage cord passes through the cover and not the ceiling..But all assumptions as we do not even know the type of sign or nothing else..If sign was small enough we could actually mount it to the cover.

This sounds like a good example of twisting the language to suit your own needs. ;)

Except...
The wording you used in reference to the NEC requirement is not correct. Maybe you should read 400.8(B):cool:

M. D.

I'm not convinced that most wall warts don't violate the code ,..300.22(c)(2)

this is from the guide info AZSQ

Products investigated for use in air-handling spaces are marked "Suitable for Use in Other Environmental Air Space in Accordance with Section 300.22, (C) of the National Electrical Code," or "Suitable for Use in Air-Handling Spaces." These products have been additionally investigated to UL 2043, "Fire Test for Heat and Visible Smoke Release for Discrete Products and Their Accessories Installed in Air-Handling Spaces."

Status
Not open for further replies.