Receptacle Device Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question - Have a client who is manufacturing a device that will screw into a receptacle to lock a 12VDC power supply for a tablet into the wall outlet. The device is not listed or labeled, but he contacted me to see if it would be necessary to list such a device. As it is not necessarily an electrical device, but does screw into the center screw of a receptacle to mount and lock the device into the outlet, what is the general opinion on listing/labeling requirements? My gut says that it needs to be listed by a listing agency, but it really does not fit into any listing category that neatly. Picture is attached for ideas. Receptacle Lock.jpg

Thoughts?

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
He needs to see a lawyer

He needs to see a lawyer

Because he only attaches to the box I don't think so. But if I was him I would ask a lawyer, due toliability of removing cover, not putting it on correct, fire risk.....

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I wondered if there were other such products and found this, which doesn't require tools for the disconnection of the cord. As mentioned, if the cord is used as a disconnect, it shouldn't require tools to operate it as such.

31-PhtJ2UVL.jpg

JFletcher

I just noticed this was for 12 volts DC.

It's for a 12VDC xfmr plugged into a standard wall outlet.

~~~~~~

No idea if all wallplates are UL listed. If those cheap breakable ones can pass a UL test, I imagine most anything could. That said, even if they dont require a listing, I would do at least a flame test on it to make sure the plastic used doesnt turn into liquid accelerent when it burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.