Receptacle height

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What height off the floor do you guys generally rough in switches,recepts,range,fridge,dishwasher,kitchen countertop etc.....?

Jap?

iwire

Staff member
You shouldn't be so thorough in your answers:p

18" to what?
bottom of box, center of box, top of box

same questions for the 48"

Center, always to center.

I use various types of boxes so measuring to the top or bottom would result in different heights of the devices.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I've used
12" to center for receptacles( I know it seems low but works well for desks with back board and the like) unless it needs to be ADA compliant.
48" to center for switches/ garage, basement, utility devices
44" to center for kitchen devices and bathroom vanity recepts
8" to top of range recept box and stay at least 3" away from edge of range space and away from center 8"of range space (works with majority of ranges, will get a odd ball once in a blue moon PITA)

alive wire

16 inches to the top of the receptacle box, 46 inches to switch boxes and 44 inches for both bathroom receptacles and switches just me though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I try to match existing when I do remodel work.

new work I put receps at hammer height to bottom, switches at 48" to top.

in kitchens I don't measure each box off the floor. I measure one and mark it, then use a 6' level from there around the room. Floors aren't always going to be level, but counters will be. This ensures that kitchen receps are same height above countertops

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I am a firm believer I going to center, less chance of confusion when you have multiple people roughing a building

Besides, that is how most prints specify it.

Prints? What are those? :lol:

I work for myself, mostly alone so that isn't an issue for me. The prints for the job we're trying to finish up now didn't specify heights on receptacles and switches. Just "to code" for receptacles and locations for switches.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The Range and the dishwasher are my 2 most unknowns.
Not sure what's coming.

JAP.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What height off the floor do you guys generally rough in switches,recepts,range,fridge,dishwasher,kitchen countertop etc.....?

Jap?

In a residence the standard around here is 13" for receptacles and 43" for switches. That is measured to the bottom. Kitchen receptacles are also at 43".
Free Standing Range I usually come out the bottom and surface mount a receptacle

GerryB

I do 48" center, but this modular I'm doing they are at 48 to the top. I was told once if you do 48 to the top it lines up with the sheet rock and they don't fill your box with mud. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I do 48" center, but this modular I'm doing they are at 48 to the top. I was told once if you do 48 to the top it lines up with the sheet rock and they don't fill your box with mud. :)
48" to the top still puts the box ~ half-way into a horizontal-board joint... so you only get the upper end of the box filled with mud?

;)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Whenever possible, I don't run a circuit for a range until I see the unit. 8-3/g used to be really standard, but nowadays many of them need 6-3/g.

so through the floor with a surface mounted recep.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
48" to the bottom was standard for switches around here about 30 years ago. Not sure how 43" got started here but I remember using 43" and the architects and designers loved it. I think a customer asked to have them lower. That is pretty much the unspoken rule now.

At 48" the switches often interfered with pictures etc that were hung on the wall so 43" was, IMO a great compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.