Receptacles sharing a neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
As ptonsparky said, it only lowers the current on the neutral, it does not change the circuit capacity.

View attachment 2564759
This is obvious in a 4 wire multi-wire conductor cable 2 hots, 1 neutral (shared) 1 ground. Unbalance current travels on neutral but

What about two separate branch circuits with 2 sets of non metallic cable 3 wire each, supplying line to neutral loads with each leg on a different phase. Doesn’t the neutral carry all load current in this case?

Also can you run just one equipment ground conductor in a raceway for all circuits? Or does code favor each separate branch circuit to have its own separate equipment ground conductor ran inside EMT conduit? (Excluding using EMT as an option for EGC - boss doesn’t want this option). ?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
This will actually reduce total load on the shared neutral, as well as total losses and voltage drop.

The load-side of the GFCIs must be separate and unshared. One EGC for everything is Kosher, too.
Ok one EGC for all

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Curious. How many block heaters?
At least one for each receptacle and probably close to double when using dual yokes or receptacles for more. Company just said install receptacles outside but did not specify heaters would be used, how many or the way rating of each. They typically do this by adding loads after the installation

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Single phase MWBC, no matter cable or conduit, the neutral caries the unbalance current. One EG is all that is required.
I’m not familiar with MWBC conductor but I thought all current returned on a neutral for line to neutral loads and only unbalanced car was for line to line loads.

If the former is the case then current has to travel to junction of neutral and pass through another load to get to other phase to source return?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Was I right on adding a neutral? There was no double gang breaker with tie handle for multi wire branch circuit setup with one neutral?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Adding a neutral was not right or wrong.
There is no neutral when you have line to line loads. 230 volt.
Just 120 volt line to neutral loads here but whether current travels entirely from line to neutral or part neutral and part other phase is not clear to me for line to neutral loads

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Just 120 volt line to neutral loads here but whether current travels entirely from line to neutral or part neutral and part other phase is not clear to me for line to neutral loads
Do you have two neutrals serving your house?
The SE is a multi wire circuit.
Get your amp clamps out. Borrow a couple if you need to. Clamp each hot and the neutral. Record the readings as you add and remove loads. The difference of the L loads should equal your neutral. It may not be exact because some may flow on the GEC.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Do you have two neutrals serving your house?
The SE is a multi wire circuit.
Get your amp clamps out. Borrow a couple if you need to. Clamp each hot and the neutral. Record the readings as you add and remove loads. The difference of the L loads should equal your neutral. It may not be exact because some may flow on the GEC.
Yes I was planning on doing this as soon as I get free time. But why does NEC code 200.4 disallow sharing a neutral although service has one LARGER neutral?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Forgive me if I am thinking wrong, it's been a long day, but adding a neutral lengthens the circuit and as a result adds more I2R heating to the conduit/raceway or whatever

synchro

Occupation
EE
The OP
If the former is the case then current has to travel to junction of neutral and pass through another load to get to other phase to source return?
It must be that old lol. This is an old mine.

We've been assuming that this is a 120/240V single phase system, instead of a 120/208V system. Is this correct?

In a 120/208V system, the line currents would only partially cancel in the neutral even when there are equal loads on the two phases (because they are 120° apart instead of 180°). But it would still be OK to have a MWBC with the common neutral having the same ampacity as the two line conductors. The neutral would count as a current carrying conductor. however.
A few examples:
16A on L1 and 16A on L2 would have 16A in the neutral conductor.
16A on L1 and 8A on L2 would have 0.866 x 16A = 13.85 in the neutral.
16A on L1 and 0A on L2 would, of course, have 16A in the neutral.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
The OP

We've been assuming that this is a 120/240V single phase system, instead of a 120/208V system. Is this correct?

In a 120/208V system, the line currents would only partially cancel in the neutral even when there are equal loads on the two phases (because they are 120° apart instead of 180°). But it would still be OK to have a MWBC with the common neutral having the same ampacity as the two line conductors. The neutral would count as a current carrying conductor. however.
A few examples:
16A on L1 and 16A on L2 would have 16A in the neutral conductor.
16A on L1 and 8A on L2 would have 0.866 x 16A = 13.85 in the neutral.
16A on L1 and 0A on L2 would, of course, have 16A in the neutral.
I’m thinking this is a standard split phase 120/240 single phase transformer source which also common to feeding the premises house wiring on site.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Your Data
NEUTRAL LOAD1PH3PH WYE
=ABS(B4-B5)=SQRT(D7-E7)
L1 AMP (1PH)5=(B4)^2=B4*B5
L2 AMP (1PH)10=(B5)^2=B5*B6
L3 AMP20=(B6)^2=B6*B4
=SUM(D4:D6)=SUM(E4:E6)

Simple spread sheet for neutral calculations. Enter your data in the non formula area (5,10,20)
That smiley face is supposed to be ':D'
Good Lord!! Colon D

Status
Not open for further replies.