Receptacles wattages

elksbugle

Occupation
Electrician
Hi
What happen to the 180 watt rule for receptacles. Years ago we were only allowed ten on a circuit. Now theirs several more boxes added to a circuit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Are you talking about dwellings or non-dwelling
BTW, it's there's.

HEYDOG

The rule is still there. In the 2023. 220.14(I). If each outlet is counted as 180 va on a 20 amp circuit (20 * 120)/ 180 2400/ 180 would limit you to 13 receptacles. On a 15 amp circuit (15*120) /180 1800/180 = 10. Most inspectors want to apply this rule to dwelling units. But this rule does not apply to dwelling units!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You aren't a answering the question, are you talking about dwellings or non-dwellings?

Many have thought the 180 va was for both but they were/are mistaken

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Have you read through 220.14 as pointed out in post #3?

elksbugle

Occupation
Electrician
Yes
Your not getting the point, the rule is not followed regardless residential or commercial.
The inspectors are turning a blind eye to this.
We as electricians should do better.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes
Your not getting the point, the rule is not followed regardless residential or commercial.
The inspectors are turning a blind eye to this.
We as electricians should do better.
Meaning what? Are you saying we should be applying dwelling rules to non-dwellings or vice versa? In dwelling applications we can install as many receptacles on a circuit as we want.

elksbugle

Occupation
Electrician
Stop replying
I'll leave this forum forever. Stating the rule is not followed regardless the application and as most of you electricians don't go about and beyond

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sorry, I believe I will continue.😁 Now show us where you got the idea that the 180 va requirement covered dwellings besides it was something you saw and you believe was a code rule

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Stop replying
I'll leave this forum forever. Stating the rule is not followed regardless the application and as most of you electricians don't go about and beyond
Of course, I don't go about and beyond. My GC has made it obvious that he wants code minimum. Nothing extra on receptacles, he will pay extra for things that he thinks matters to his customers. Buyers will not pay him extra, he won't pay me extra, buyers don't get anything extra from him or me.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yes
Maybe in "Okay" but where I'm at I don't know if I've ever seen a recent commercial building with more than about 6 on a circuit (granted, I don't do a ton of commercial work)

Also here, most residential guys I've seen count their openings - particularly if a circuit is only receptacles

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I first started wiring dwelling units in 1976, the number of receptacles was not limited to 13 on a circuit, the receptacles are included in the 3 va per sq foot calculation. 50 per circuit would be allowed. Non dwelling units, no receptacles are required, but each counts at 180 VA. Some point out the limit of 13 per 20 amp circuit only applies to load calcs. There is a difference between code requirements and real world