Receptacles wattages

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm still of the opinion that those statements refer to load calculations and not actual installations.

If an actual specific quantity was the intent, it would be far too easy to include such in the code.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the op is saying that commercially, at least, the 180va/receptacle rule is often not applied. As stated above by Larry some don't believe there is a limit in either residential or commercial that the 180va is for calculations only.

In a dwelling I can have a bedroom with 20 receptacles or I can run wiremold all around the room. There is no limit.... Of course if you know that someone is using these outlets for specific loads then you need to make sure the circuit will handle it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'll leave this forum forever. Stating the rule is not followed regardless the application and as most of you electricians don't go about and beyond
Some of us are confused so can you please clarify what rule is not being followed?

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I see what to OP is saying in regards to the 180 rule in Residential.
Here in Tulsa and surrounding areas they have such a rule and even more stringent than 180 VA per recpt.
When I first came here I was like what the heck you talking about so looked it up and for sure was there.
I tried to explain that was not NEC code for residential applications and only fell on deaf ears. The code actually states qty of outlets per circuit. I said then how do you put that many lighting outlets on a circuit to be code compliant. They said I was wrong, an outlet is where you plug things into.

So before OP leaves, let talk about it as a local amendment may apply to your area. I don't agree with it however it is what it is. Then if you decide to go so be it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-193204.png
    Screenshot_20230630-193204.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230630-193254.png
    Screenshot_20230630-193254.png
    169 KB · Views: 7