Red Tagged, 225.39

Status
Not open for further replies.

volt101

Re: Red Tagged, 225.39

The requirements for a disconnect require that it be SUITABLE for use as service equipment. It doesn't say you have to use it as such.
Why waste the ink?

If it is safe enough to be used as a power panelboard with six disconnects, how can it not be safe for use a lighting and appliance use?
408.36 Overcurrent Protection
(A) Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard Individually Protected
Does not have an exception as (B) does below.

(B) Power Panelboard Protection

Exception: This individual protection shall not be required for a power panelboard used as service equipment with multiple disconnecting means in accordance with 230.71.
And don't ask me why cause I don't know. :)

Jim

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

About the only difference between equipment that is Suitable for Use as Service Entrance (SUSE) and that which is not, is the ability to bond or not bond (isolate) the grounded conductor (often seen as a reference to a neutral isolating link).

So a SUSE item is a "standard" device plus an extra feature.

mvannevel

Originally posted by volt101:

408.36 Overcurrent Protection
(A) Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard Individually Protected
Does not have an exception as (B) does below.

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Unless the '05 code reads differently, the '02 Code says in 408.16(A)Exception No. 1: Individual protection for a lighting and appliance panelboard shall not be required if the panelboard feeder has overcurrent protection not greater than the rating of the panelboard.

[ September 06, 2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: mvannevel ]

volt101

mvannevel,
I was only answering one statement

If it is safe enough to be used as a power panelboard with six disconnects, how can it not be safe for use a lighting and appliance use?
I understand that it does have overcurrent protection, I was only answering the statement made. The code articles that I referenced back me up, that it may not be safe. That's all folks....

Jim

dillon3c

Mark,
:(

*For me,this has been one good thread. ;)

*share it with Mr. Homer..And thanx for returning my PM.-Mark..

dillon

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by volt101:
I would require a main to be installed and site 110.3B

Georgestolz, I also site this on temps.
Speaking of 110.3(B):

Do you realize Siemens temps come with two 1-pole, 20 amp breakers, and one 2-pole 50 amp breaker, feeding a 240 V 50 amp receptacle and two GFI's? It comes from the factory as an appliance & lighting panelboard, and it comes with the understanding that it is going to be used as temporary service equipment.

I'm right alongside everybody else. I'm going to ponder this mess and see what revelations transpire. :(

Anybody got the Handbook's opinion on it? (If it's been posted, forgive me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.