Red-tagged out of spite (and maybe has a point on a couple things)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
So I called the inspector today. I had to leave a message with the building clerk and he called back from a restricted number. This is usually a red flag to me. Means he doesn't want anybody to be able to reach him without him knowing who it is and what it's about beforehand. I answer:
Me: Hello?
Him: Is this (My first and last name).
Me: Yes, is this (his first and last name).
Him *slight stammer*: Uh, this is the wire inspector of Sharon.

Yeah, obviously I know who he is if I know his first and last name and am expecting a call. Anyway his position is that the generator salesman needs to have a master license because he's doing wiring for hire, then subbing it out to me. I asked if a workaround could be that he sells the equipment, then "refers" the customer to me and the customer pays me directly. He seemed maybe ok with that.

His issue with the ground wire wasn't even something I installed. Somebody had jumped a #10 from the water pipe to the GEC. I told him I could just remove it because it was redundant.

I did not find anything in the code book prohibiting what I used for support of the SER and he didn't argue after I pointed out that only cable ties are required to be listed for cable support.

His response to the unistrut was that he had no way of knowing that I drove it deep enough into the ground and that I should have poured concrete.

As for the SPD, his position is that I "replaced" the main breaker by installing equipment that became the main breaker.

I could see where he was coming from although I disagreed. He kept trying to make the phone call adversarial and I kept trying to make the call cooperative between two professionals.

Eventually he says he's going to call the salesman and asks for his number. I say, "It's on the picture you took of his yard sign". He asks his name, I tell him.

He never called.
How will he know if the concrete was deep enough?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I just did the work I was hired for.
Yeah not really your deal, sound like you did your research on what your allowed to do in your state as a J-man.

Code reference?
Were talking about putting a #6 bare and some SER cable thru a connector right?
I get cited 110.3(B) they are only listed for one SER cable if I do that here.

Jimmy patrick

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure. It's possible, but that doesn't stop plenty of inspectors from giving out their cell phone. The good ones want to keep a good dialogue with the electricians working in their town.
Once they give out a personal cell phone it and everything on it becomes public record...... imagine everything on your phone becoming public

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I work mostly in the industrial setting for the time being. And I’ve noticed if you get an inspector that was actually once a working electrician. Sometimes things can go much smoother.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Industrial setting inspectors.

Much better environment these days. 40 years ago had a cute young female engineer working for me, aircraft company.
Gov contract, so everything inspected that would be delivered to gov, but inspectors were within company.
So, from other side of a test bench, I overhear this older inspector who was old enough to have inspected WW2 aircraft coming off the line tell the cute young female engineer "I'd pass this stuff easily if you could be especially nice to me".
Early days of 'sensitivity/harrassment training', etc, us leads and managers had been told in no uncertain terms that type of past behavious WOULD result in termination. Told the old inspector that if I ever heard a remark like that again he was in REAL trouble.
Never had any problem with that inspector again.

Thiis young lady provided me with a put down opportunity to my own manager, another 'really old school' guy. For presentation to the Air Force, had some photos taken of the hardware we designed, one pic had the young lady operating the equipment. Says my 'old school' manager (circa 1982) : 'Cut he cheesecake in the photo, that should be the test engineer"
Says me: " She IS the test engineer". Worst superior/manager I ever had, also revealed how little he knew of his own direct report employees.

kwired

Electron manager
Once they give out a personal cell phone it and everything on it becomes public record...... imagine everything on your phone becoming public
I would guess many of them have a phone supplied by their employer and is not intended for personal use.

I can still see them wanting to block caller ID and only give limited people the number, mostly the office and other staff. Let the office take incoming calls and make appointments and inspector(s) can return calls when necessary. Some these guys would never get anything done if they had to answer every attempted incoming call if their direct number was made known to the general public.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I would guess many of them have a phone supplied by their employer and is not intended for personal use.

I can still see them wanting to block caller ID and only give limited people the number, mostly the office and other staff. Let the office take incoming calls and make appointments and inspector(s) can return calls when necessary. Some these guys would never get anything done if they had to answer every attempted incoming call if their direct number was made known to the general public.

Not the general public, just electricians pulling permits in their towns. Our info is public info as well. Anybody can look up a permit and call my phone. And not every electrician pulling permits, just the ones that want to call.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
sorry, if you cut a transfer switch in the service and now it changes the main it could apply.

(D) Replacement.
Where service equipment is replaced, all of the requirements of this section shall apply.

Yeah, I can be on board with that. But it's still a little open. It says replace, I changed. The existing equipment remains.

kwired

Electron manager
Not the general public, just electricians pulling permits in their towns. Our info is public info as well. Anybody can look up a permit and call my phone. And not every electrician pulling permits, just the ones that want to call.
If you have an "office phone" then put that number on the permit. Not really the same thing though. Who is calling you on that particular job unless they are also associated with that job?

Scammers that somehow found the number don't count.

Yes only the electricians will be the bulk of the calls, but the larger the jurisdiction the more calls you are likely to get. If it gets to the point where you get nothing done but talking on the phone most days, something has to change. Let the office take calls to answer common questions and make scheduling arrangements and inspector(s) can return calls with more specific needs as necessary, or even possibly someone is in office that can answer some those more specific needs questions, or is scheduled to be in office during certain hours for that purpose.

Jimmy patrick

Occupation
Electrician

Imagine every photo on your phone, your search history, and all text messages becoming public. That’s why they block their numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.