refrigerator started tripping gfi

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Did you see it trip, or does it trip only when someone is touching a sink and reaches over to open the refer (or something like that). That is a memory from my childhood, beforefore GFCIs. Got a "nice" shock, turned the plug around, no more shock. Today I would replace the refer (except I was 8 at the time).

I was a first year voltage tester at the time I learned that lesson.

Frail little old lady complained of being shocked by her fridge so being the tester I was, licked a finger on each of my hands, touched the sink faucet and the fridge. :jawdrop::jawdrop:
Son of a gun!! I got a set of test lights the next day.

kwired

Electron manager
The weird thing is that I have tried on a different gfi and does not Tripp it
I was going to ask if you left it plugged in for 24-48 hours just in case it only trips during a defrost cycle, but sounds like that may not be what is happening anyway.

I don't think that is what he was thinking. I think.

If the fridge has a fault to the frame and the cord has an EGC, the fault current has an path back to it's source and will be subtracted from the faulted conductor's current and the imbalance will trip the GFCI.

If there is no EGC, then the fault does not have a path back to it's source and will not cause an imbalance which would not trip the GFCI.

Just like your plug in tester. Pretend your plug in tester with the button pushed in is the fridge and the cord's ECG was missing. Would the GFCI's not behave exactly the same as stated in the OP's dillema?
A different version - GFCI doesn't need an EGC to operate, but an the presence of an EGC may enhance performance as it gives that fault a place for current to flow. GFCI's don't respond to faults, they respond to fault current, and giving that fault a low impedance current path will increase the response time to a fault, otherwise the fault is there energizing the appliance cabinet but waiting for low enough impedance path to come along before the GFCI will trip.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
A common problem with equipment that contain open motors tripping GFCIs is DUST or spider webs. If either gets wet or damp they may conduct enough leakage current to cause a GFCI device to trip. I've had good luck with blowing out dust and spider webs with high pressure air to get rid of GFCI tripping problems.

kwired

Electron manager
A common problem with equipment that contain open motors tripping GFCIs is DUST or spider webs. If either gets wet or damp they may conduct enough leakage current to cause a GFCI device to trip. I've had good luck with blowing out dust and spider webs with high pressure air to get rid of GFCI tripping problems.
true, but not so likely on a typical household refrigerator. The compressor motor is hermetically sealed the evaporator fan(s) shouldn't be subjected to these conditions - that leaves you with possibly a condenser fan - probably a shaded pole motor and though pretty open design is likely - probably has little or no uninsulated conductor or terminations.

kwired

Electron manager
Does this refrigerator have basic electro-mechanical controls or does it have electronic controls?

Need to be careful with electronic controls but I would suggest megging the compressor, defrost heater, and other motors, may help find your problem faster.

iwire

Staff member
You can build your own tester, but they make a clamp for this exact purpose. I have one and find it indispensable for troubleshooting GFCI problems.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/currentclamps/360.htm?gclid=CJWm2sKuob8CFbRj7AodZW0A_w

Mark

$700.00 for that.

I am far too much of a yankee for that. If the appliance trips a known good GFCI it fails the leakage test and I am done.

As far as refrigerators the electric defrost elements are a common cause of ground fault leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.