Refrigerators on a GFCI circuit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I understand the definition of "revise" and "revision" as being changed from its previous form. I thought that if the CMP's made any revisions to prior sections that they would shade the text. But I also know that my definitions of words are not always the definitions of the NEC. :)
The NFPA no longer indicates deleted text unless a complete section is deleted, so in cases like this there is no indication that there has been a code change. This change simply deleted text.
How do you shade text that no longer exists?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NFPA no longer indicates deleted text unless a complete section is deleted, so in cases like this there is no indication that there has been a code change. This change simply deleted text.
You can't but you could have an icon that represents deleted text for that section.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
How would you get that out of what I posted ?????

It was simply not revised in a way that would result in the NFPA shading text or providing any other indication of a change.

However the rule was completely changed by deleting text. The deleted text changed the rule from only applying to receptacles that serve countertops to applying to all receptacles in the kitchen.
Didn't they highlight the deleted text? :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can't but you could have an icon that represents deleted text for that section.
Not sure if the NFPA ever gave any indication of the deletion of a few words or phases. Maybe when they used the left side vertical line, they may have used it where words were deleted, but not sure.

Now they only indicate the deletion of one or more complete paragraphs bu the use the "bullet" (dot).

The use of the "bullet" has been to indicate the deletion of one or more complete paragraphs since at least the 2005 code.

retirede

The clearest method would be to strike through all deletions in the year they get deleted. Then remove entirely in subsequent editions.

micabay

Appliance Tech
Occupation
Appliance Tech
Hey guys this is not a GFCI issue, its a nation wide manufacturer issue, the compressors for many new brands are all made in the same factory and leak current on the equipment ground. We worked on a new 12 unit retirement complex that was to be furnished, and every single fridge eventually tripped the GFCI, I have been reading fridge posts on here to get ideas because they kept sending me there to swap the GFCI, try a GFCI breaker ..... The factory service fella is going nuts says he is replacing "junk with better junk" owners are now involved in a class action suit against the manufacturer. They have replaced two fridges with older models from a used appliance store.
Check out this video on it:
This is a direct result of being forced to be more energy efficient. The smaller your make the material, the more likely it will break down in ways it shouldn't.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
This is a direct result of being forced to be more energy efficient. The smaller your make the material, the more likely it will break down in ways it shouldn't.
Not just that but the desire by mfg. to have more sales. Design it to break down, "Planned Obsolescence". Almost every electrical consumer product now has computer chips, even your toaster. With that every one of these also has a "clock" chip that can be set to a default "kill switch", making the "P.O." even more reliable. Grandmas toaster lasted twenty or more years, Can't get one now that last more the a year (barely past the warranty).

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
IBM used to have a vertical bar in the margin to indicate something has changed-- adds, changes, deletes all got the bar.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not just that but the desire by mfg. to have more sales. Design it to break down, "Planned Obsolescence". Almost every electrical consumer product now has computer chips, even your toaster. With that every one of these also has a "clock" chip that can be set to a default "kill switch", making the "P.O." even more reliable. Grandmas toaster lasted twenty or more years, Can't get one now that last more the a year (barely past the warranty).
There is one at my brothers house that my mom and dad got as wedding present in 1946 and still works fine. The only repair has been to replace the cord. It is also one of the few that I have seen that automatically lowers the bread...even that part still works perfectly.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
IBM used to have a vertical bar in the margin to indicate something has changed-- adds, changes, deletes all got the bar.
The NEC used that method through the 2005 code. In the 2008 code they changed to the gray shading to indicate changes. I don't recall if they used the vertical line to indicate the deletion of a few words.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
This is why we've switched to commerical appliances. Toaster, Waffle iron, etc. You even notice it in the quality of the power cord.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Seems like it would just be easier to remove the GFCI after you see the tail lights of the inspector.
That's what electricians do in their own homes. I also run individual branch circuits with single receptacles in my garage for my refrigerators and chest freezer. But we can't do that in our customers' homes for liability reasons.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Attachments

• 4ab06dc106c97b8e448c9611d89a15e97f2da3a4e6e1fe6a74c858c328338b15 - instasize.jpg
    4ab06dc106c97b8e448c9611d89a15e97f2da3a4e6e1fe6a74c858c328338b15 - instasize.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 25