Renovation Project Home owner is a Jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I'm working on a large renovation house that is to be featured in Parade of Homes magazine.
This house has all the extra electrical luxurys. Such as Towel warming drawer and racks, floor warmers, bread warrming drawers, steam shower, heated shower seat etc...All appliances given to them by the magazine.
You know how difficult it can be to hit the exact location of some of these connections.
So on the trim out.
The home owner is being a total jerk, cursing acting like we're dummies cause we missed a towell rack by a couple inches, and we had to cut the sheetrock.
A few other things that are not out of the norm. Esspecially when working for a home owner and not a licensed contractor.
Now their are a couple outlets not working and a porch light in an area of the house that we did not renovate. He assumes it is are fault. I got so mad I told him I wouldn't fix it until he pays me for the trim out on the rest of the house. It would most likely be easy to fix but it is the principal of the thing.

They as their own contractor have made so many mistakes them selves.
They put the huge range hood duct in last cutting right through the sheet rock and a bunch of our wires. Plus he smokes pot on the job. He even made his wifes dad mad at him. It's not just me.

They plan on selling the house just as soon as it is finished. Which to me seems illegal since they are not licensed contractors.

Would you all go and fix the stuff on the part of the house we didn't do.
Or put a leign on the title. Or at least threaten him with it.
It has got to the point if he says any thing smart to me I.m going to hit him.:mad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
buckofdurham said:
It has got to the point if he says any thing smart to me I.m going to hit him.:mad:

I am not sure what I would do but I wouldn't do that. I do know where you are coming from. I think get paid before you any other work and then make good because it may be something you did-- I don't know. Good Luck. I hope this is not a chapel hillian.

e57

I would advise not to hit 'em! Rather take the additude that he is a fool and laugh at him - to his face if you feel it necessary.... Put someone between you to communicate if you can.

Lien if you like and your state laws allow - but by all means don't sour the relationship further until paid. The other work if seperate should stay that way - maybe hand him the card of someone else to do it... Sometimes just being honest about it and say 'I can't work with you' could do you both good. JMSO

Buck Parrish

Dennis Alwon said:
I hope this is not a chapel hillian.

It is , This house has taken so long I.ve done two custom homes at the GOV. Club and a bar and numerous other projects while this one is still going on.

Buck Parrish

e57 said:
I would advise not to hit 'em! Rather take the additude that he is a fool and laugh at him - to his face if you feel it necessary.... Put someone between you to communicate if you can.

Lien if you like and your state laws allow - but by all means don't sour the relationship further until paid. The other work if seperate should stay that way - maybe hand him the card of someone else to do it... Sometimes just being honest about it and say 'I can't work with you' could do you both good. JMSO

Thanks, it's good to hear from people who have most likely been their done that.

satcom

The main things that avoid conflict are an aproved set of plans, and a contract with a defined scope of work, without them, your asking for a problem job. I take it you were working to an approved plan, and have completed you r defined scope of work, in that case turn it over to your lawyer who in turn can send it to collection. Don't do anything you will be sorry for and ruin your case.

Last edited:

Tiger Electrical

Keep it businesslike. The contract keeps it clear. Good luck if you don't have a clear contract. I do my best to get spec sheets on anything special for correct location and wiring. Moving outlets after rough and having non-working outlets isn't helping your cause much. I always figured if my work is perfect there is no cause for complaint and it becomes an issue of payment only.

Dave

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
some people cannot be pleased and take out the frustration of their own mistakes on others. the worst customer I ever had to deal w/ was a couple from new jersey who migrated south. all i heard day after day was, "people in new jersey work so much better than you people!. . . ". Anyway, I was working for another company at the time so I let it go in one ear and out the other. the only time I got upset is when the old lady started yelling at my helpers. They didn't get paid to put up w/ that kind of stuff; I did. I just made sure they knew who complaints went to, and if they couldn't respect that we'd have to leave. Don't let them talk to you like dogs, but don't give them reason to run you off the job either. In my situation I simply told the lady we were doing exactly what was outlined in the job specs. We didn't have any problems with the work; I really think the old lady was just out of her mind.

ultramegabob

He was smoking pot on the jobsite? I would have picked up my tools and left the first time that was going on, I wont work anywhere that someone is on drugs or drinking.....

Buck Parrish

ultramegabob said:
He was smoking pot on the jobsite? I would have picked up my tools and left the first time that was going on, I wont work anywhere that someone is on drugs or drinking.....

I'll definitely remember that.

growler

buckofdurham said:
Yes, plus they have been living their. They move from room to room with all their belongings and kids!

Didn't you know about this before taking the job? One of the first things to get straight about a remodeling job is if the house will be occupied and if it will still have furniture.

The cost of an occupied job is always much more than one that's vacant and empty. There is normally a lower stress factor also.

electricmanscott

ultramegabob said:

That would be my approach and I would tell him exactly why I was leaving.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
buckofdurham said:
They plan on selling the house just as soon as it is finished. Which to me seems illegal since they are not licensed contractors.
Why would one need to be some kind of contractor to sell one's own home?

growler

petersonra said:

To legally get a homeowner permit to act as your own GC you will normally have to sign a statement that you are planning to live in the house from 1 to 2 years after job completion.

satcom

petersonra said:

It may be this guy is trying to flip a bank owned home, I wonder if all the permits are in place? can you imagine the extended liability if no permits were issued, not to mention the tax problems he may be facing. He is smoking pot, that shows poor judgement, a hazzard to even be around.

Last edited:

cadpoint

@ da House

@ da House

growler said:
To legally get a homeowner permit to act as your own GC you will normally have to sign a statement that you are planning to live in the house from 1 to 2 years after job completion.
Thats exactly correct in respects to GC'n, the owner can to pull an electrical permit as well, via the state law of NC, but a little different in thought.

I beleive its, the homeowner can pull an electrical permit and do the work themselves and is required to live there for a year. Some counties have owner test's to quailify for said permit.

With GC'n, I beleive it's old english common law, a man and his castle, right of refusal, bargining, all that etc, and a permit is required to upgrade the castle, OK... generally ...:rolleyes: ...

c2500

In North Carolina, if a homewoner is the contractor they agree to live in the home for 1 year. In SC it is 2 . Also, North Carolina, from something I read on their contracting website last year, seems to be diligent on enforcement.

c2500

Status
Not open for further replies.