Reporting Unlicensed Electricians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loffgren

Reporting Unlicensed Electricians? What are your thoughts? Do you belive it is none of your buisness or something you should up hold.I am on the fence about a guy, just feel like a jerk if i go and report it....Thoughts

Oakey

I reported someone last week, no regrets at all. He could've hurt somebody putting a regular outlet in a septic tank and romex underground.

satcom

Loffgren said:
Reporting Unlicensed Electricians? What are your thoughts? Do you belive it is none of your buisness or something you should up hold.I am on the fence about a guy, just feel like a jerk if i go and report it....Thoughts

Are you licensed, did you test for and pass the required exams, do you pay all the required insurances and bonds, do you pay all your federal, and state taxes, do you pay for a business permit?

O my opinion, if we approve of everyone breaking the laws, because they feel like it, then we can not expect anything but law breakers.

If your not another licensed EC, or an officer of the court, or an owner harmed by unlicensed work, then why would you get involved?

In my area many of the licensed EC's will report any unlicensed work they see, and i give them credit for trying to clean up things, remember we all pay when these snakes don't cary their fair share of fees and taxes, and fail to secure permits to protect the consumer.

c2500

My thoughts....

My thoughts....

I have no difficulty reporting an unlicensed individual. There is a reason they are unlicensed. I had to take tests to get the licenses I have (Residential builders, residential electricians, residential plumbers). I have insurance. I am bonded. I carry three business licenses. I have enough brains to do the work to code. When I am unsure on something, I ask. I have made alot of money over the years for repairing/replacing jack leg work. However if I know it is in progress I will rat them out in a second. (and have done so on many times)

I have a relative who thought she knew more than anyone else because she had been watching homes be redone in 30 minutes on TV. (I passed on the work) After six months, the guy she hired to renovate her parents house was turned in to the city. He had taken her for $30,000. Almost all the work was incorrect. The wiring a nightmare. The plumbing the same. Windows incorrectly installed. The list goes on. Everything, literally everything has to be redone. That crook now has a warrant out for his arrest by the state attorney general. The Residential Builders Commission forwarded it to the AG. I am happy that I set the wheels in motion.

I will alsoconcede there are licensed people that don't have a clue what they are doing, but by and large it is the unlicensed ones that hurt the profession.

c2500

satcom

Loffgren said:
What if they do know what they are doing, just without lic. etc....

The law does not say if you know what your doing, then don't follow the law.

How do you know; they know, what they are doing if they din't pass the required testing and experience requires, that is the just a weak excuse.

Last edited:

tmbrk

I haven't caught any unlicensed guys redhanded doing work yet, but I have called in homeowners who did not get a permit.

One time a woman called me on a Weds. to come out and give her a price for an aboveground pool circuit. Made an appointment for Fri. When I got out there the work was already done. I told her she could have given me a call to cancel and she laughed at me. I then noticed there was no permit and no fence. After I called it in I'm sure she wasn't laughing anymore. It was the absence of a fence that really got me cause that is an accident waiting to happen.

wbalsam1

Loffgren said:
What if they do know what they are doing, just without lic. etc....

Operating without a license, where one is required, is an act of gross negligence. It's deliberate. Receiving money for work done that was required to be under a license might actually reach criminal negligence, depending on the court's interpretation. :smile:

crossman

I am somewhat surprised by the lack of conviction in this thread and in the other thread similar to this one. Our trade is a good, professional trade. Would you tolerate an unlicensed doctor doing surgery?

Protect our trade and protect our livelihood. Report violations. No justification needed.

Sparky555

The inspectors don't enforce any repercussions for unlicensed work. I could work full-time reporting carpenters doing electrical work.

Dave

crossman said:
I am somewhat surprised by the lack of conviction in this thread and in the other thread similar to this one. Our trade is a good, professional trade. Would you tolerate an unlicensed doctor doing surgery?

Protect our trade and protect our livelihood. Report violations. No justification needed.

I agree completely. I do my fair share of turning people in and actually have had a hand in stopping those jobs I was able to. I consider it my duty to our profession and take all calls from those who do not want to be exposed by calling themselves.

tonyou812 said:
I have been very tempted to turn a couple of guys in, but they both have kids and I feel bad about it.. . . . . . what would you do?

The people they are working for may have children as well. Who knows the quality of work, as most unlicensed workers are not calling for permits/inspections.

TURN THEM IN!!!

can you tell I am serious about this?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Sparky555 said:
The inspectors don't enforce any repercussions for unlicensed work. I could work full-time reporting carpenters doing electrical work.

Dave

Its the same way where I'm at. The county commission here even goes out of their way to protect unlicensed handymen, citing the need for affordable services. The inspector has even been forced by county officials to return money collected from fines on unlicensed work. My biggest competition is actually unlicensed REA employees; it must be nice to not need a permit or an inspector to connect services.

Status
Not open for further replies.