Residential Contractors Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Does your state have something like this:

"105.9 Responsibility.

It shall be the duty of every person who performs work for the installation or repair of building, structure, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems, for which this code is applicable, to comply with this code."

That means ALL the rules (codes).

Do you drill holes in the bottom 1/3 of a joist? I bet not.

Would you remove something that was in your way? I bet not.

The NEC is 'part' of the code not the whole code.

Here the electrical inspector inspects electrical NEC issues only. They are not trained or qualified to inspect for issues outside the electrical trade.

Do you drill holes in the bottom 1/3 of a joist? I bet not.

I don't but if I did the electrical inspector would not be an issue, the building inspector would red tag the carpenters or GC about it.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Here the electrical inspector inspects electrical NEC issues only. They are not trained or qualified to inspect for issues outside the electrical trade.

I don't but if I did the electrical inspector would not be an issue, the building inspector would red tag the carpenters or GC about it.

Bob

We are talking about the electricians responsiblity not the inspector.

Let me understand you. If you drilled a hole in lumber in the wrong place, that would be a carpenter or GC problem?

Jim W in Tampa

Here the way it is done is framing not inspected till after the trades are finished. That way damage like this gets caught. The electrical inspector could tag you for doing structural damage and should but it will or should get caught on frameing inspection

cycotcskir

Is no one else concerned about our nanny-state running rampant.

The "Green Police" commercial is coming true right before our eyes!

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Is no one else concerned about our nanny-state running rampant.

The "Green Police" commercial is coming true right before our eyes!
I think about it a lot. Here in Georgia and I guess most everywhere also we have seatbelt laws. I can't even imagine why I would ever want a seatbelt law, whether or not I wear a seatbelt.

As far as enviormental laws, a lot of them are so extreme, and obvious things are being overlooked. Sometimes I think the extreme enviormental laws are there to divert our attention from much more blatant pollution, health threats, and waste of natural resources.

More enviormental laws may not help any more than a constitutional admendent helped solve alcoholism problem--it didn't.

Does anyone have a feel what the enforement of this is likely to be? Is it a Federal thing that will be looked at primarily for government jobs or are local building departments be requiring compliance for every remodel, addition etc? Can we expect to be akin to asbestos? Or is this all conjecture until 4/22/10? I can say that I have not heard anything about it around here from any electrical inspector, but that doesn't mean that the building inspectors are gearing up for it.

norcal

Does anyone have a feel what the enforement of this is likely to be? Is it a Federal thing that will be looked at primarily for government jobs or are local building departments be requiring compliance for every remodel, addition etc? Can we expect to be akin to asbestos? Or is this all conjecture until 4/22/10? I can say that I have not heard anything about it around here from any electrical inspector, but that doesn't mean that the building inspectors are gearing up for it.

Or ambulance chasing lawyers trolling for lawsuits? In the same manner as ADA lawsuits find a "violation", send a shakedown letter to pay up or they file a suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.