Residential electrical procedures and PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I forgot to say at intersections only without left turn signal control, sorry.
Not a single signal control in any the towns nearby here, the one that the UPS truck would be coming from about 40 miles away does have just a few, but none with a left turn signal.

I know USPS doesn't want their carriers to have to back up, as much as possible, but still run into cases where not so easy to avoid.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Makes you appreciate the Canadian standard for residential panels that putd the line side and main in what is essentially a separate compartment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Makes you appreciate the Canadian standard for residential panels that putd the line side and main in what is essentially a separate compartment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yeah. While I am strongly against the nixing of MLO service panels, I would have supported more buss guarding (such as with the I-line design) and kinda can't believe we went so long without line side barriers on MB panels

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah. While I am strongly against the nixing of MLO service panels, I would have supported more buss guarding (such as with the I-line design) and kinda can't believe we went so long without line side barriers on MB panels
I have no problem with I-Line bus guarding, presuming you do have filler plates installed wherever there are no breakers installed. That only leaves the bus exposed when you are installing or removing a breaker when it comes to the main bus areas. Rather work inside those cabinets live than in most "loadcenters" that have too much bus exposure particularly the Homeline, Siemens, BR, and GE series if there is no breakers installed. QO and CH series are a better to work with as the bus doesn't have as much exposure QO being even better than the CH as they only have limited spot exposed where the breakers actually plug on. Stray conductors hanging there when doing any kind of work in the cabinet just aren't going to accidentally contact the bus very easily on those two and is just about impossible on the I-line with filler plates installed.

Working in dozens of service areas has revealed no consitant standard for safe work around and near energized equipment. My responsibility as electrical contactor on residential service work has ranged from hot connecting at the weatherhead to not being allowed to even connect the load side of the meter base. POCO policies are all over the place depending on where in the country you are working.

OSHA standards are generally not enforced by local AHJ and those inspectors are not helpful in navigating the rules. The responsiblity resides with the individual performing the work to be safe.

Compounding this dilemma are the various unlicensed "tradesmen" performing routine removal and replacement of devices and equipment that are unaware of shock or arc flash hazards.

Over the past 50 years, I have evaluated each job, regardless of how routine, as unique.

The general condition of the equipment, confined space, energy level, extent of the work et al contribute to the decision as to how I safely perform my task.

The 2020 NEC requirements for line side barriers on service disconnects has been a great safety improvement. The typical arrangement of utility side conductors adequately provides for no EXPOSED energized equipment, once the main is deenergized.

A separate service disconnect also eliminates this hazard.

We all work on ancient installations that have none of the modern safety features. My habit is to deenergize as much as practical and fashion barriers of cardboard, wood or other non conductive materials to mitigate exposure.

This may be unacceptable to literalists that prefer to follow the letter of the law. I however am a businessman and evaluate risk and reward daily, not only regarding safety but all decisions surrounding my business and profitability.

We are in an era of "safety first" as a prevailing mantra.

I disagree, perhaps to my own detriment.

None of the greatest American progress could have been achieved without risk. Certain risk is worth taking. Foolish risk is not. But, you must decide.

Electrical work, like much constuction work has certain inherent dangers. Modern improvements implemented to mitigate that risk are welcome improvements. There will always be room for improvement. Treating safety as the end goal is, in my opinion, a mistake. Instead, I will be as safe as possible in line with the risk exposure.

Absolutes seldom fit all situations. Be smart AND surround yourself with people smarter than you. There is much too learn!

I appreciate dissenting opinions and do not suggest my way work for everyone.

It works for me until I discover a better way.

kwired

Electron manager
Working in dozens of service areas has revealed no consitant standard for safe work around and near energized equipment. My responsibility as electrical contactor on residential service work has ranged from hot connecting at the weatherhead to not being allowed to even connect the load side of the meter base. POCO policies are all over the place depending on where in the country you are working.

OSHA standards are generally not enforced by local AHJ and those inspectors are not helpful in navigating the rules. The responsiblity resides with the individual performing the work to be safe.

Compounding this dilemma are the various unlicensed "tradesmen" performing routine removal and replacement of devices and equipment that are unaware of shock or arc flash hazards.

Over the past 50 years, I have evaluated each job, regardless of how routine, as unique.

The general condition of the equipment, confined space, energy level, extent of the work et al contribute to the decision as to how I safely perform my task.

The 2020 NEC requirements for line side barriers on service disconnects has been a great safety improvement. The typical arrangement of utility side conductors adequately provides for no EXPOSED energized equipment, once the main is deenergized.

A separate service disconnect also eliminates this hazard.

We all work on ancient installations that have none of the modern safety features. My habit is to deenergize as much as practical and fashion barriers of cardboard, wood or other non conductive materials to mitigate exposure.

This may be unacceptable to literalists that prefer to follow the letter of the law. I however am a businessman and evaluate risk and reward daily, not only regarding safety but all decisions surrounding my business and profitability.

We are in an era of "safety first" as a prevailing mantra.

I disagree, perhaps to my own detriment.

None of the greatest American progress could have been achieved without risk. Certain risk is worth taking. Foolish risk is not. But, you must decide.

Electrical work, like much constuction work has certain inherent dangers. Modern improvements implemented to mitigate that risk are welcome improvements. There will always be room for improvement. Treating safety as the end goal is, in my opinion, a mistake. Instead, I will be as safe as possible in line with the risk exposure.

Absolutes seldom fit all situations. Be smart AND surround yourself with people smarter than you. There is much too learn!

I appreciate dissenting opinions and do not suggest my way work for everyone.

It works for me until I discover a better way.
If in an area where there are several POCO's in reasonably small radius, you may find every one of them has different policies as to what they will allow you to do from some that don't care much at all what you do to some you don't touch a thing including you don't even cut a meter seal, you call them out to disconnect it before you will do anything in meter or anywhere before it.

AHJ's particularly electrical inspectors, have nothing for a standard written into their scope that would allow for them to enforce OSHA regulations. They mostly have NEC (whichever edition is officially adopted, some local rules, and maybe limited portions of other building codes and that is it. That said they typically are employees themselves and workplace safety still applies to them and should be policies set by their employer. I have yet to see an EI insist or turn off supply or put on any PPE before opening/removing covers on live equipment. And if they did part of the process would be to verify there is no voltage before the PPE can come off.

I do agree with what you said about risk and making progress. How does one make any progress without taking some risks. The more you know about certain things the more you can mitigate some risks, but there is always going to be some risk when exploring something no one has done before.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It seems to me like the people who write these regulations have little clue as to how electrical work is done. This is right up there with the dopes who say that you cannot lean a ladder against the wall. Is the likelihood that it may slip greater than when it's open, probably but that's a risk that I will assume because it's often the only way to get to where you need to be. Thankfully they're now making ladders that are approved for leaning and so far our safety cops are allowing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.