Residential lighting means of disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I was under the impression that any fixed and hardwired appliance or fixture requires a means of disconnect within sight or if not within sight is required to be lockable.
Some Article 100 Definitions work is hinted at in your choice of words.

Plumbers install "fixtures", electricians install "Luminaires."

Compare the Article 100 Definition of Appliance to Luminaire, and it becomes a real hard sell to equate the two. We can spend a lot of words bandying this about, as has been done in other threads, but they are essentially not the same thing.

Also, pay particular attention to the last sentence in the Definition of Luminaire with respect to what Roger asked you in Post #18. An understanding of "Lampholder" is going to yield some interesting insights. And the specific configuration of a "Pull Chain Lampholder", with respect to your opening question, gets more purely to the point.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
One last thing, Michael: please consider the guidance offered by "Charlie's Rule".
It doesn't say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say. If by chance you are an instructor, it doesn't say what you have been saying, and if you're an author, it doesn't say what it's intended to say.

Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, don't ask anyone what is says and don't think it says what you want it to say.

Go back and read it again and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time. If you don't like what it says, then get involved and try to change it. In the process, you might find out that what it says, it should be saying.
Charlie B.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
Thank You all for your words of wisdom and insight. I realize this was just one simple question, but with your help guidance, I have a better understanding of code wording and interpretation.

Again thanks and see you on the next big question.
-Michael

al hildenbrand

Occupation
. . . this was just one simple question . . .

In my experience. it is the "simple" questions that yield the deepest insights.

One of the classic examples of this exists in the exercise of identifying the "point" in a real world wiring assembly that is the actual Article 100 Definitions "Outlet". (Example: Where is the outlet in a cord and plug connected range? Where is the outlet in a hardwired range with a field installed whip? Where is the outlet in a hardwired range with a factory installed whip?)

We start off in the classroom learning the basic theory and terms so we can get going with the tools and do work, and, often, the things we are taught take on a life of their own. Returning to the basic theory and terms years later, with good experience under one's belt, and applying "Charlie's Rule" to the NEC language, most of the time, opens up a whole new vista of understanding.

MAC702

I don't see the issue as different than a standard snap switch used for control of these lights. Whether a snap switch is used, or a motion/photo control is used, neither is a line-of-sight or lockable disconnect because such a disconnect is not needed for lighting. As mentioned, this is just a design issue. Or am I missing something?

I don't use the "word" luminaire because I don't want to have to explain it every time I do. You even have to teach it to your spellchecker.

Status
Not open for further replies.