Residential vaulted ceiling cans- what are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

It's been a little while since I did a vaulted ceiling with recessed lighting.
I usually used the Juno sloped 6" can.

Is there any new products that are being used that incorporate an LED style down light that doesn't use the can housing but works on sloped ceilings?
I'm talking about a 4:12 pitch ceiling.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think the new LED recessed-style lights and retro-fits have such wide dispersion that they're fine on a sloped ceiling.

You could always buy one and wire it on a cord and do some experiments with a ladder in your own living room.

kwired

Electron manager
It's been a little while since I did a vaulted ceiling with recessed lighting.
I usually used the Juno sloped 6" can.

Is there any new products that are being used that incorporate an LED style down light that doesn't use the can housing but works on sloped ceilings?
I'm talking about a 4:12 pitch ceiling.
I did one last summer with regular canless 6 inch LED's in the sloped ceiling, it turned out ok. Found some 4 inch adjustable LED's to use over fireplace mantle where we wanted some accent lighting. The adjustment range was somewhat limited but was able to point them straight downward in 4/12 ceiling.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I'm using can killers, cans in vaulted ceilings vs. particular roofs /roofers are a liability i no longer wish to be involved in

~RJ~

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Most will disagree; I’m of the opinion that anything other than a sloped recess fixture on a vaulted ceiling is the wrong fixture.

I use the Juno IC926LED. That one is for 2/12 to 6/12. 1400LM, 0-10v driver available. It’s an integrated LED available in various colors. It really does look nicer than the regular 926 with a PAR lamp. The fixture is about $250, and uses the same trim as the incandescent 926.

They also offer a 900 LM warm dim version.

There are some smaller aperture housings with internally adjustable lamps if you want something smaller than 6”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
There are a few building here in 'the great white north' that one can count 'divits' in the roof after a snowfall Brant

Now if the structure has a tin roof , i'd give it a pass, if tar shingles our install voids the warranty

And yes, after using whatever isolative methods, over and above IC cans , heat still rises

~RJ~

sw_ross

Most will disagree; I’m of the opinion that anything other than a sloped recess fixture on a vaulted ceiling is the wrong fixture.

I've worked for a couple of EC's, first one felt strongly about only using sloped cans on sloped ceilings. He used Juno sloped cans.

The second one was a younger EC that hadn't used sloped cans before and couldn't/wouldn't see the justification for a sloped can on his projects, so we always used the typical Halo can that's flat.

The ceilings in these houses always looked strange to me with the light coming out perpendicular to the plane of the ceiling after using the sloped cans for a number of years. The room was probably lit up fine with either option, but in my mind the end product had quite a different look, one to the other, in terms of quality.

That's why I was wondering what people are typically using for sloped ceilings that simulates the look of the Juno slope style can.

kwired

Electron manager
FWIW.
I agree sloped fixtures for ceilings.
In my opinion it just looks unprofessional not to use the sloped fixture on the sloped ceiling.
with halogen reflector lamps, I agree it typically didn't look so good. Last one I did with canless LED's (Lithonia WF6) and it didn't have the same effect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with using the right can, but they can be difficult to find, like these 8-inchers I used here:

DSC00533.JPG DSC00545.JPG DSC00844.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.