Retrofit & Wafer light trims, why can't they be friends?!

AdamTeeScott

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why do I feel like the people installing/repairing the products are the only people identifying issues - but we have no lines of communication back to the manufacturers?

The issue I'm obsessed with now is seemingly trivial but necessary for a quality finish for my customers.

Remodeling part of a kitchen and there are existing recessed lights.

Customer has 9 lights in total and wants to relocate 4 of them, but update all to LED trims.

Two of the four being relocated are under a ceiling joist and need to be thin wafer lights.

>> Trying to find MATCHING lenses/trims/baffles - whatever you wanna call them - between the retrofit LED lights that fit in a traditional can light housing and the wafer/puck/canless/boxless lights that can fit under a joist.

I don't need an explanation why they're not made this way.
Yes, I know I can just sell more time and materials to swap them all out to the wafer lights - which I'll probably end up doing.
But the point is it shouldn't have to.

>> Just looking for matching product recommendations, whether in a store or online.

Thanks gang 🤘

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Is it possible to remove existing can round portion and the metal whip wire from the j- box in the roughen housing into the new can less trim and install new light.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I recently did a remodel and found Lowe’s carried ( I know ) a utilitech retrofit led trim which was very flat very similar to wafer lights. You may want to go check it out and see what you think. I think they even were a generous 950 lumens.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
"
Yes, I know I can just sell more time and materials to swap them all out to the wafer lights - which I'll probably end up doing.
But the point is it shouldn't have to."
If the reality is that there are no matching trims between the two products, why not just propose the job accordingly from the start?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
On the existing recessed lights, you can remove the recessed housing leaving the frame in place. Then use the j-box attached the recessed frame to feed your wafer driver. The spring clips on the wafer will secure over the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
On the existing recessed lights, you can remove the recessed housing leaving the frame in place. Then use the j-box attached the recessed frame to feed your wafer driver. The spring clips on the wafer will secure over the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only works on some brands of combinations also idk if it meets the listing of the can to use that 3/8th flex if it isn't listed as flex. I have done this with liotier or whatever they are where there isn't a back house to the can and they are just straight up trims. Those don't work with Halo wafers but the slightly larger ones cover the hole well.

macmikeman

Everybody better get very caught up on this stuff because they are making wafer lights that string together with low voltage made especially for the untrained to install DIY, with all the iPhone whistles and bells...........

Reactions: MTW

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Only works on some brands of combinations also idk if it meets the listing of the can to use that 3/8th flex if it isn't listed as flex. I have done this with liotier or whatever they are where there isn't a back house to the can and they are just straight up trims. Those don't work with Halo wafers but the slightly larger ones cover the hole well.
I don't think this meets 2023 NEC if that is the current code at the job location. No junction box other than what the manufacturer provides with the wafer light.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Add a piece of NM between the can's J-box and the wafer's J-box, or relocate the old NM if it will reach.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Wouldn't it have been easier just to upgrade the existing and make them all match? Sometimes we try to save the customer money but end up spending more of our time (money) just to save them a bit.

Why do we as electricians do that? and other professions don't? Maybe it is a topic for a separate thread.

AdamTeeScott

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wouldn't it have been easier just to upgrade the existing and make them all match? Sometimes we try to save the customer money but end up spending more of our time (money) just to save them a bit.

Why do we as electricians do that? and other professions don't? Maybe it is a topic for a separate thread.
I upgraded what was needed to upgrade. The wiring and housings were in perfect working condition. I saved money on labor and materials, found a matching pair, and my return customer was happy.

Perhaps the new thread should be why there is so much construction debris and waste and how we can do a better job of adding items to the landfill unnecessarily… 🤔