Rigid Nipples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are electrical dies for threading rigid different than plumber Heard plumbers are tapered more
Have a hard time running 1st lockrings all the way down Have to grind threads occasionally
Are nipples from electrical supply house Different than rigid nipples at plumbing supply house

synchro

Occupation
EE
Rigid conduit has specs on the smoothness of its inner surface which galvaized pipe used in plumbing does not. Both the weld bead and the galvanizing have to be made so that they will not damage the wiring, especially during pulling operations. Some relevant specs. are ANSI C80.1 and UL-6. I have seen galvanized pipe that had an internal weld bead which was quite sharp and protruded significantly from the surface.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Rigid conduit has specs on the smoothness of its inner surface which galvaized pipe used in plumbing does not. Both the weld bead and the galvanizing have to be made so that they will not damage the wiring, especially during pulling operations. Some relevant specs. are ANSI C80.1 and UL-6. I have seen galvanized pipe that had an internal weld bead which was quite sharp and protruded significantly from the surface.

OP was talking about the threads.

Of course, synchro is correct otherwise.

-Hal

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Are nipples from electrical supply house Different than rigid nipples at plumbing supply house

Most electrical nipples are running thread - meaning full length thread at the thread diameter of the plumbing nipple small end. ( In addition to everything synchro said)

Often when making own nipples, will let the machine run and let threaded portion stick out the end of the die the length of nipple I need and cutoff that end. Have retractable cutter die heads on my threading machine so can even run a few feet of running thread then cut nipples as needed on chop or band saw and ream the burr.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was told 30 years ago their was a difference Just putting it out there
I've been hearing that myth for almost 40 years. We always used straight threads on RMC when field threading because we had been taught that the threads are supposed to be different. Look at 344.28.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Most electrical nipples are running thread - meaning full length thread at the thread diameter of the plumbing nipple small end. ( In addition to everything synchro said)

Often when making own nipples, will let the machine run and let threaded portion stick out the end of the die the length of nipple I need and cutoff that end. Have retractable cutter die heads on my threading machine so can even run a few feet of running thread then cut nipples as needed on chop or band saw and ream the burr.
I have never seen a conduit nipple from a supply house with running thread...they have tapered threads just like the conduit. The listing requirements in Articles 342 and 344 require that they have tapered threads. The only time I have seen a running thread is when I have purchased a 12 to 24" length of running thread.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a conduit nipple from a supply house with running thread...they have tapered threads just like the conduit. The listing requirements in Articles 342 and 344 require that they have tapered threads. The only time I have seen a running thread is when I have purchased a 12 to 24" length of running thread.
I just looked at the ones I have in stock. I see no taper on this as Tapped.

I am going to look at plumbers type. I know they are tapered.

I will post a pic. When I fix my camera phone. Was working on job needed magnets. I put a Neonydm type magnet on my phone
by mistake. Think it destroyed camera

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just looked at the ones I have in stock. I see no taper on this as Tapped.

I am going to look at plumbers type. I know they are tapered.

I will post a pic. When I fix my camera phone. Was working on job needed magnets. I put a Neonydm type magnet on my phone
by mistake. Think it destroyed camera
Do they have a listing mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.