RMC + concrete = rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcelec

Where rigid comes through the floor do you tape it or coat or protect it in some way to prevent it from rusting at that point?

Volta

In a similar vein, I noticed in the (2007) UL White Book this week that (this is from memory, not quoting) RMC which is encased in concrete and enters soil is / can be subject to severe corrosive conditions where in contact with the soil.

arossi

If you need a rigid 90 then I believe the best you can do is a Rob Roy 90! But have a good time talking your boss into that! Not very cheap

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Arossi,

What is a "Rob Roy" 90 ?

Thanks,

its a PVC coated fitting.

rob roy sells touchup compound in a can that might make sense for one-up situations like this. you can also buy other plastic coatings in a can that could be used to coat the outside of a conduit or fitting that might be especially subject to corrosion.

arossi

Arossi,

What is a "Rob Roy" 90 ?

Thanks,

I'm not sure if that is the supplier name, but its basically a rigid metal 90 with a black non-corrosive rubber coating on the outside and an red non-conductive/non-corrosive coating on the inside, they are kind of an expensive item, but they are as good as it gets if you can't run PVC for some reason. I could try a search for it, but your local supplier should have some of the smaller 90's in stock (ie: 1") Its specified for National Fuel Gas anytime you run underground, along with seal-offs, etc.

arossi

Guess I was beaten to the punch!!!

I know a lot of electricians who have never had a chance to work with it or even seen Rob Roy before, thanks for providing the link

daleuger

As a general rule, no.

See 344.10 for further details.

344.10(C) Galvanized steel, stainless steel and red brass RMC shall be permitted to be installed in or under cinder fill where subject to permanent moisture where protected on all sides by a layer of noncinder concrete not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick; where the conduit is not less than 450 mm (18 in.) under the fill; or where protected by corrosion protection and judged suitable for the condition.

I've almost always seen them taped. The tape to the naked eye looks a lot like regular old black electrical tape except it comes on a roll even wider than duct tape.

celtic

344.10(C) or where protected by corrosion protection

I've almost always seen them taped. The tape to the naked eye looks a lot like regular old black electrical tape except it comes on a roll even wider than duct tape.

What role does the zinc coating play?

electricalperson

even if it is galvanized its still going to rust. heres what i do when i come up through a slab. i run all the stuff underground in pvc then i put a male adapter and come up with a rigid coupling on the end of the male adapter. only half of the coupling comes through the slab the other half is in the concrete. if it breaks or rusts someday you can chip around and change it out

i heard about people using red lead paint or something like that to protect it

daleuger

I do agree that Robroy would be good here too if you can get the right person to go for it. Never gotten the opportunity to use it but I've seen where it was. It's not very common for some reason, at least from my experience.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Probably more pics of Al doing what Al does....

I gave Al the day off today with pay. We have two 4" Poco laterals to dig in on Wednesday. When I say we, thats Al and myself. I will try to get a picture of me actually moving earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.