Rodent proofing electrical wiring

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
Just curious. Does anyone make a wire pulling lubricant that is also a rodent poison?

I do appreciate all your replies. I was afraid this would not be an interesting topic. I have learned a lot.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Nail, screw or rats will still effect MC. I don't see that flimsy metal stoping a Screw or nail and if a rat wants to chew it through it will.
IF your that paranoid with NMB vs MC for safety just use RMC. You could say EMT is safe but I can drive a nail though that or a screw pretty easy.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Nail, screw or rats will still effect MC. I don't see that flimsy metal stoping a Screw or nail and if a rat wants to chew it through it will.
IF your that paranoid with NMB vs MC for safety just use RMC. You could say EMT is safe but I can drive a nail though that or a screw pretty easy.
I think it'll slightly discurage them though. To be truly safe I think you'd need pvc in concrete walls and floors with seal offs at strategic places but at that point the whole structure would be rodent proof. Or Nmb with some good non poison traps and a neighborhood cat or owl and good housekeeping.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Just saying. you probably right but I don't see a huge improvements. Like some one said if you got rats your wiring the least of your problems ( well I guess until it burns down lol)

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I have found very little research on mice burning down houses, but a common statistic I see is rodents are responsible for 20% of all fires in which the cause of the fire was undetermined.
I seem to remember a statistic, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it again. Anyway, if I remember it correctly, 20% of all mice fatalities are from romex. Also, it is an absolute fact that 43.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have absolutely no basis in fact.