Romex brand 14/2 and Ginsu utility blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I tried those about 12 years ago. I think I remember that I couldn't get back far enough in the box. I could certainly use these in the panel though. Thanks
I think your suppose to strip before putting in the box with those
When doing new circuits or new houses, I always score the sheath with those strippers but don't pull the sheath off. You can then put the NM in the box easily. It's a breeze to come back and make the boxes up. You just grab the sheath and it pulls right off. I will say that I am careful when scoring it, I don't put a lot of pressure and don't twist, or rock the strippers. I had rather leave a little uncut and pull a little harder than to damage the insulation under the sheath.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
I have always put the wire in the box when pulling then come back and make up my boxes. I have always used a knife to SCORE each side of the wire, then yank off the sheathing. I've been told many, many times this is the wrong way to remove the sheathing , but it's how I was taught. Worked for him, works for me until the new heavy duty breathing came along.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have always put the wire in the box when pulling then come back and make up my boxes. I have always used a knife to SCORE each side of the wire, then yank off the sheathing. I've been told many, many times this is the wrong way to remove the sheathing , but it's how I was taught. Worked for him, works for me until the new heavy duty breathing came along.
That's how Iearned it.
But sometimes you get in such a habit of slicing and yanking that you can lose your bearings.

I did that with a cut in box when I had about 2 years experience. Yanked the whole box out of the wall 😄

thats what I do, except I only score one side of the cable. Takes me, I dont know, like 5 seconds per cable....

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So I noticed it when the shortages got bad again at the beginning of the year but idk.

Separate note here's my process for romex stripping
1 gang nail on gets stripped before going in the box
Multigang gets cut with a knife so the clamps in the box hold the wire tights and even.

Of all the skills I have developed for this job it's sad that the 2 best are having how best for me to put wire in a box and stapling with only 3 inches between studs without needing stack it's. LOL

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I tried those about 12 years ago. I think I remember that I couldn't get back far enough in the box. I could certainly use these in the panel though. Thanks
Someone made a pair of those strippers with a 90 degree bend so they could be used in the box.

Pull the cable slightly out of the box and score the sheath. Push cable back in. Done.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
This new thicker sheathing on their 14/2 is really slowing my production time. I thought it was just a fluke last month when I tied up 12K of it. But I'm still buying that thicker sheathing. Does anyone know if this is permanent for squirrel protection or just temporary because of supply chain? I will change to Cerro brand if this is permanent. It breaks my heart because I've always called Romex the champagne of NMB.
This thread has gone astray. Has there been a change in NM sheath? If so, why?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
This thread has gone astray. Has there been a change in NM sheath? If so, why?
I think that for southwire that has been established. I have used republic and cerowire 14 2 and those don't seem any different but the southwire has changed. Southwire seemed to be thinner than those 2 brands no I'd say no difference but there they also are about the same for how slick they are now but before it was noticeable that southwire was more slippery.

Maybe someone should take micrometer measurements and we can compare the brands in more detail.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’ve thought the same thing.
My brand new double wide I just ran SER feeder into last night has several knicked (gouged into the copper) conductors in the panel due to somebody using those Romex strippers. Not saying they all do it but whoever was using these ones either used improper or were wore out.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
My brand new double wide I just ran SER feeder into last night has several knicked (gouged into the copper) conductors in the panel due to somebody using those Romex strippers. Not saying they all do it but whoever was using these ones either used improper or were wore out.
You just can't hold it at an angle I've had to demonstrate to apprentices that it cuts the wire and sometimes still see them do it. So I'm sure there are some who just never get it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You do realize that it's not (most likely not) electricians that wired your double wide? They are wired in a factory and would have no official inspection. Probably untrained folks just handed the strippers to use.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Congratulations on your brand new double wide. When are you moving in?

macmikeman

None of the common brands of wire strippers seem to stay sharp and well working for very long these days. I certainly have noticed how quickly I have to replace with another one . In my long gone years of this trade the stripping tools lasted for years if there wasn't any oopsie's regarding de-energization.

macmikeman

I'm actually out there in the field a whole lot of the time. I can tell you one thing for sure. Way old NM cables already did have thicker sheaths. The thinning down started sometime in the Eighties or maybe even a bit later. Presently is has been almost not there at all........

Status
Not open for further replies.