Romex brand 14/2 and Ginsu utility blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think that for southwire that has been established. I have used republic and cerowire 14 2 and those don't seem any different but the southwire has changed. Southwire seemed to be thinner than those 2 brands no I'd say no difference but there they also are about the same for how slick they are now but before it was noticeable that southwire was more slippery.

I don't think the OP has said what specific brand he is talking about, only Romex which is a generic term. The OP indicates that for whatever brand Romex he has, the jacket is thicker- not thinner.

-Hal

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think the OP has said what specific brand he is talking about, only Romex which is a generic term. The OP indicates that for whatever brand Romex he has, the jacket is thicker- not thinner.

-Hal
I am talking about Southwire brand 14/2. I have noticed a difference in Southwire 12/2 or 14/3.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

-Hal
Actually Romex was a brand name of NM cable originally mfg in Rome, NY at Rome Cable. Just like Kleenex is a brand of facial tissue.

Origin of Romex Brand Wire​

The Romex name comes from Rome Cable Corp. of Rome, New York, which originally produced the cable. The company was an industry leader until it filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and its factory was largely demolished in 2010. Rome Cable Corp. was also a major source of aluminum wire produced by its parent company Alcoa. Aluminum wire is inferior to copper wire and its presence is considered to be dangerous in your home. In 1964, Alcoa was court-ordered to divest itself of Rome Cable Corp.

While the prefix of Romex certainly applies to the company that produced it, the origin of the suffix (-x) is not clear. It may mean that the wire at the time was experimental or it may have simply been a convenient method of creating a brand name.
Full article:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Actually Romex was a brand name of NM cable originally mfg in Rome, NY at Rome Cable. Just like Kleenex is a brand of facial tissue.

Origin of Romex Brand Wire​

The Romex name comes from Rome Cable Corp. of Rome, New York, which originally produced the cable. The company was an industry leader until it filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and its factory was largely demolished in 2010. Rome Cable Corp. was also a major source of aluminum wire produced by its parent company Alcoa. Aluminum wire is inferior to copper wire and its presence is considered to be dangerous in your home. In 1964, Alcoa was court-ordered to divest itself of Rome Cable Corp.

While the prefix of Romex certainly applies to the company that produced it, the origin of the suffix (-x) is not clear. It may mean that the wire at the time was experimental or it may have simply been a convenient method of creating a brand name.
Full article:
Southwire owns the Romex brand now.

MasonF

Occupation
Master Electrician
We get southwire simpull in 1000’ rolls. Lately the 14-2 seems to leave more of a white almost slimy residue on your hands/gloves than usual.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The original Rome Cable became part of General Cable in 1927. At this time General Cable become the owner of the trademark Romex until they sold their building wire division to Southwire in 2001.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I am talking about Southwire brand 14/2. I have noticed a difference in Southwire 12/2 or 14/3.
I haven't noticed much difference in the 12 2 and 14 3 but now you mention it the roll I had of 12 2 a couple weeks ago had that residue but I got 3 rolls this week that don't. I have noticed some variance in the packaging plastic the last year not on the 14 3 but definitely on 14 2 idk if there's some issues with what's available. Does southwire rebrand when they can't supply themselves. I mentioned I get republic 14 2 sometimes and they have that residue it's annoying but for 25 bucks off a 250ft roll I'll deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.