ROMEX IN PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I've got boxes upon boxes of commercial blueprints from the last 7 years and there's not a One-Line Diagram for the service and or feeders or a spec for the branch circuits that allows any of the Neutrals to be reduced.
As to the contrary,I do however have probablly 10% of those which do require a 200% Neutral.

I realize that a reduced neutral can be used, but on projects where the plans are engineered and indicate a Full Size Neutral, thats what generally is installed.

And on jobs that I do on my own the Feeders or Branch Circuits are generally not long enough for me to see any real advantage of reducing the Neutral size.

But as I said before thats JMHO.

JAP.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've got boxes upon boxes of commercial blueprints from the last 7 years and there's not a One-Line Diagram for the service and or feeders or a spec for the branch circuits that allows any of the Neutrals to be reduced.
JAP.
Contract documents are not neccessarily based on minimum code and some engineers either don't want to take the time to do the calculation, don't want or care about cost reduction, or just as a CYA.

Roger

realolman

As to the contrary,I do however have probablly 10% of those which do require a 200% Neutral.

I realize that a reduced neutral can be used, but on projects where the plans are engineered and indicate a Full Size Neutral, thats what generally is installed.

And on jobs that I do on my own the Feeders or Branch Circuits are generally not long enough for me to see any real advantage of reducing the Neutral size.

But as I said before thats JMHO.

JAP.

I'll probably expose myself as being a dunce again... but I REALLY can't see any need for a 200% neutral

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'll probably expose myself as being a dunce again... but I REALLY can't see any need for a 200% neutral
There is no reason for it except making wire manufacturers happy.
;)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.