Rough in stapling

Status
Not open for further replies.

embmilkman

I am aware the all romex is required to be stapled at 48" incriments and within 6" of any box. My question is wether there a limit to the number of 14/2, 12/2, 10/2, and any other combinations of wires that can be stapled together under the same staple. Is it simple one staple per wire, or are there certain types of staples for muptiple wire fastening. A direct reference in the NEC would also be helpful.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This will be included in the manufacturers information on the packaging.

Roger

mdshunk

The NEC is mute on the matter, but the staple manufacturer's instructions prevail. There are many "stacking" staples on the market. I made a general inquiry to Viking, one of the largest staple manufacturer's, a few years ago, and go this response:

W.W. Cross said:
Marc:
This question has been coming up a lot lately, and we have to be careful how we answer it due to the diversity in code interpretation across the country. UL tested our products for one cable, which is pretty much standard. We are aware however that many contractors run two, 12 or 14 cables under a #100 staple with no problem. The LL# 100 and the LL141 can physically hold even 3 and 4 cables securely, however some inspectors will only allow one cable regardless of leg length and holding capacity. That is why we have to be careful in advertising multi-cable capability.

You are correct that leg length is an important factor in holding capability, but leg design and shape is also important. You will notice that the Viking #100, #125, etc. legs are not round. They are flattened which increases holding ability. A Viking staple will therefore hold better than most round-leg staples.

The solution will probably be for us to request UL or other lab testing for multiple cables, which is expensive and time consuming. In the mean time, we suggest the inspectors be realistic about a staple’s intended purpose “to adequately secure a cable or cables without damaging them”. A simple pull test would seem to be adequate to address this issue. Pull on it and see if it comes out. If it does, you need a bigger staple. If, not, go with it.

If the Inspectors are concerned about “over driving” in order to make the staple hold on multiple cables, one of our insulated staples such as the IN 3000 or IN3125 may be the answer. We have seen sales of IN3125 (based on our #125 staple) increase lately, primarily for this reason.

Finally, Viking is introducing a line of plastic “stacking staples” this fall. These will be designed to hold 1-2 or 3 cables and will be color coded for 10, 12 and 14 cable. They will be more expensive than steel staples but they should address this issue in problem areas.

Hope this helps, we will be happy to supply samples or additional information at your request

Tom Trudeau
President

The above quoted e-mail reply is a few years old, and the stacking staples Mr. Trudeau references have been on the market for a while now.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

embmilkman said:
I am aware the all romex is required to be stapled at 48" incriments and within 6" of any box.

Actually its 12" from a box, unless the romex terminates at a non- metallic outlet box that does not contain a cable clamping device, the cable may be secured within 8" of the outlet box... 314.17(C), Exception

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Try these

mediawebserver.dyn

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Also, it is within 12 inches from every box not 6" art. 334.30

Or 8" if the nonmetallic box does not permit the cable to be secured to it.

360Youth

A semi-related question, that I have started to ask a few times, is how do you define a wire "stapled on edge," which I know is a violation. I have done hundreds to thousands of staples and never been busted for stapling on edge but more than once I have had 2-wire turned on edge loosely under a staple. The wire could be rotated any direction, it just happens to fall that direction. I would rather have a wire turned on edge with no direct pressure than stapled flat and "tight." I do not like a tight staple. How is this interpreted in your area?

mdshunk

360Youth said:
I do not like a tight staple. How is this interpreted in your area?
Are you seriously asking what "stapled on edge" means? If the minor dimension of the cable is perpendicular to the crown of the staple, it is absolutely stapled on edge. No two ways about it.

mdshunk

celtic said:
Very nicely done marc ....a big TY!

Anyone have an opinion on using a cj6 for romex?
Well, Bridgeport makes a very similar non-metallic fitting, in the spirit of the Colorado Jim, particularly for NM cable:

NMCB-1.gif

The 3M "Stackers" are another popular choice. Caddy shows their CJ6 as being okay for NM cable, but it's certainly not what I'd reach for first.

celtic

Never saw the plastic version before ....I'll have to compare prices.

Have you (or anyone) used either style on Romex?

360Youth

mdshunk said:
Are you seriously asking what "stapled on edge" means? If the minor dimension of the cable is perpendicular to the crown of the staple, it is absolutely stapled on edge. No two ways about it.

Yes, I know what "on edge" is. What I am talking about is do you consider a loose cable turned sideways to be a violation? I'm guessing you do :rolleyes: .

mdshunk

celtic said:
Have you (or anyone) used either style on Romex?
I've used the CJ's, but only because they were handy. I knew they were okay'd for NM cable, so I used them, but I didn't feel especially good about myself for having done it. I generally like Stackers with NM cable on wood studs, or the Bridgeport NMCB-1 for NM cable on steel studs. That's just a personal hang-up, I suppose. I'm fine with steel staples, but steel Colorado Jim's seem wrong to me. I can't put a finger on it...

celtic

I hear you Marc....that hunk of steel, potential to damage cable, etc...

The instructions from caddy/Erico say romex IS allowed....but I am also a bit leary.

I'll have to get pricing on all 4 items (staples, stackers, cj6 and the BP item) and labor units...then weigh the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.