Rough in stapling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
celtic said:
Anyone have an opinion on using a cj6 for romex?

Apparently the instrucions allow 4 -6 Romex cables (depending on size)....but has anyone used these in a real world application on Romex?

We have been using CJ6 here for about 2 years. Ty wraps are no longer accepted on vertical studs. (Quote me an Art. AHJ). I'm not a romex guy, but I can tell you we can't keep enough around the shop for the rope jockies.

mdshunk

I'm not too proud to say that I used to just use a few wraps of Super 33 to hold NM cables centered on steel studs. For one NM cable on steel studs, I now use Jiffy model MED2 one-hole straps with a Tek screw. For two NM cables, I use Jiffy model MED3 one-straps with a Tek screw. More cables than that, I use the Brideport thing-a-ma-jig.

stickboy1375

chris kennedy said:
I can tell you this. They look great on rough inspection. Ever see what they look like after insulation?

That goes for any kind of strapping, Insulators SUCK IT BIG!!! Where are the inspectors then? They dont split the insulation around wires in outside walls... they compress the crap out of it... by far the worst trade out there...

celtic

Bridgeport has lots of "thing-a-ma-jigs"!

NMCB-3
NMCB-3.jpg

NMCB-2
NMCB-2.jpg

as well as the NMCB-1

Samples too: http://www.bptfittings.com/samples/samples.shtml

I never associated BP with romex/cable...only pipe.
Learn something new here everyday.

Thanks Marc.

celtic

chris kennedy said:
I can tell you this. They look great on rough inspection. Ever see what they look like after insulation?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:wink:

Any explosions or other "non-events"?

wbalsam1

360Youth said:
A semi-related question, that I have started to ask a few times, is how do you define a wire "stapled on edge," which I know is a violation. I have done hundreds to thousands of staples and never been busted for stapling on edge but more than once I have had 2-wire turned on edge loosely under a staple. The wire could be rotated any direction, it just happens to fall that direction. I would rather have a wire turned on edge with no direct pressure than stapled flat and "tight." I do not like a tight staple. How is this interpreted in your area?

Stapling 14/2, 12/2, 10/2, (flat cables) NM on edge is a violation of 334.30. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I, too, have used CJ-6's for NM, mostly when the construction dictates it. A couple of years ago, we did a large house ("How large is it?" The basement alone is over 3K'sq.)

The basement walls are pre-cast concrete and set in place. The inside has vertical ribs about 10" deep capped with PT 1x2's, and the CJ's were the best cable support.

Since the wood was only 3/4" thick, there was little leeway in the attaching surface, so a single screw into the side of the 1x2 was perfect for avoiding drilling the concrete.

tonyi

chris kennedy said:
Ty wraps are no longer accepted on vertical studs.

334.30 explicitly allows cable ties for romex. Is some inspector making up their own rules?

LawnGuyLandSparky

hillbilly said:
Uhhh......That's 54"....saves a staple every 40'.

steve

You remind me of a boss who once gave a 20 minute on the job lecture to 6 journeymen about wasted material, because he found a >gasp!< blue wirenut on the floor. That was 2 manhours x $75.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.