Rough in stapling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfSide EC

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
You remind me of a boss who once gave a 20 minute on the job lecture to 6 journeymen about wasted material, because he found a >gasp!< blue wirenut on the floor. That was 2 manhours x $75.00.

We had a supervisor that would toss a nickle or dime on the ground next to a wirenut or two and then yell at the people who picked up the change but left the more costly material on the ground.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only one who cares about the cost or value of materials is the one who pays for them.

(Except for guys who intentionally pull more wire than necassary to sell the scraps.)

SurfSide EC

LarryFine said:
The only one who cares about the cost or value of materials is the one who pays for them.

I would personally have to disagree, although on the whole I see where you are coming from. My view is, if you save the company money that leaves more potential for your pocket as well. It goes both ways, in that you have to be working for someone willing to share the savings, its just so happens that I do.

LarryFine said:
(Except for guys who intentionally pull more wire than necassary to sell the scraps.)

Can't say as to what I would do to someone I caught doing that. Seems pretty bold and blatant to me. Not sure they would remain employed.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrestless

360 Youth

360 Youth

Romex cannot be stapled on edge meaning sideways, I am not insulting you in anyway but I have roughed hundreds of houses in 35 years and I have never stapled on edge. We always just staple down from the top of the plate
to the box. Although it is not enforced in your area if you happen to do that
in another state or perhaps county you would be tagged. I am also aware
if you dont like the wire being tight but most inspectors would rather see
cables stapled neatly than loose under a staple. Also if using non metallic boxes the distance is 8 inches from box and no more than 4ft 6 inches in-
between staples.

bjp_ne_elec

That original pic posted by JohnJ0906 - it appears to be a ripped stud sitting next to a full stud. Other than looking like they might have drove the staple with a sledge hammer - it looks to be pinching the NM somewhat - I don't see an edge issue. Again, if it was close to the edge of a normal stud, I would have an issue with it. Am I missing something?

Thanks

stickboy1375

bjp_ne_elec said:
That original pic posted by JohnJ0906 - it appears to be a ripped stud sitting next to a full stud. Other than looking like they might have drove the staple with a sledge hammer - it looks to be pinching the NM somewhat - I don't see an edge issue. Again, if it was close to the edge of a normal stud, I would have an issue with it. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Look again, the wires are on EDGE...

bjp_ne_elec

I'm aware of the edge - maybe it's an optical illusion in the pic, but it looks to me like there is a ripped 2x4 butted up against a full 2x4 - and this is why I'm not see an edge issue. Another way to put it, is the piece of lumber that the NM is stapled to, is not going to end up close to the backside surface of the sheet rock - as it appears to me the lumber that the NM is stapled to, sits back from that plane.

mvannevel

bjp_ne_elec said:
I'm aware of the edge - maybe it's an optical illusion in the pic, but it looks to me like there is a ripped 2x4 butted up against a full 2x4 - and this is why I'm not see an edge issue.
What's being referred to in the picture is not the 300.4(D) spacing of the cables from the edge of the framing members, but rather the 334.40 requirement that flat cables not be stapled on edge. In the picture you can see that the wide dimension of the NM is perpendicular to the stud so that the staple is on the edge of the cable rather than on the flat face of it.

dcspector

Maurie.....334.40 05' NEC is boxes and fittings. 334.30 is refering to cables stapled on edge...edge meaning on the shape of the cable.....I still see 300.4(D) 05' NEC

stickboy1375

bjp_ne_elec said:
I'm aware of the edge - maybe it's an optical illusion in the pic, but it looks to me like there is a ripped 2x4 butted up against a full 2x4 - and this is why I'm not see an edge issue.

Look at the wires not the wood, the wood is not the issue...

360Youth

mvannevel said:
What's being referred to in the picture is not the 300.4(D) spacing of the cables from the edge of the framing members, but rather the 334.40 requirement that flat cables not be stapled on edge. In the picture you can see that the wide dimension of the NM is perpendicular to the stud so that the staple is on the edge of the cable rather than on the flat face of it.

I must be blind as a bat. I don't see the wires on edge. They look stapled flat, and too tight to me, IMO.

JohnJ0906 said:
th_HPIM1208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

S'mise

get my glasses

get my glasses

Wow, your right It is an optical illusion. It see it now.
Shame on you guys for not catching "staple every 48"... for two pages.
Hillbilly should win a box of staples for that. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.