Rural shirt pocket rules

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There was a PI this time to require a column to have a receptacle if the perimeter or circumference exceeded 24". It was rejected at the Task Group level.
Thankfully so. A column is not a wall so the installation of receptacles should be a design issue not a code requirement.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have often heard that automotive batteries should not be stored directly on a concrete floor, because concrete will suck the charge out of a lead-acid battery and deplete it.
I have encountered the exact same thing. I had never understood the potential mechanism for how that would happen. I brought it up with my dad once after a project where the foreman insisted that I build a wood stand for storing fork lift batteries, siting this issue. My dad explained it to me.

WAY back in the 20s and 30s when he was growing up, car battery cases were made of hard natural rubber. If you set the battery on concrete for a length of time, condensation that formed on the battery as it heated and cooled would drip down to the concrete, then the caustic lime in the concrete would leach out and attack the rubber case, causing small cracks to form That then allowed the electrolyte to slowly leak out and evaporate, killing the battery. Of course battery cases are plastic now, so this has not been an issue for almost a century, but urban myths persist.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I still insist my kids put the boat batteries and wood boards for winter storage. Because it makes it easier for me to pick them up off the floor in the spring.😀
You need to get the batteries with the built-in carrying strap!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Ohm's law is one the first rules taught in basic electricity courses that involves any relationship between voltage and current and should be something any electrical professional would know though.
Ohm's Law is taught literally on the first day of class in Circuits 101.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
You need to get the batteries with the built-in carrying strap!
Some of the boat batteries that I had to help with at my uncles boat engine shop were a 2 person or mechanically assisted lift. They had to handle a few real monsters. On that sort of battery some manufacturers will not provide lifting handles but their use instructions would suggest the pre-installation of plastic covered metal lifting straps. I had been in the Sea Explorer program of the Boy Scouts and learned how cargo was handled in loading and unloading on ships with their own 2 boom derricks. I rigged up an imitation of that mechanism and changed the batteries out on a cradled 74 foot topsail ketch by myself. My uncle said "Nice job Tommy but don't ever do it again. If one of those batteries had gotten away from you the repairs to the deck would have cost me a fortune." I just hated the task of building a plank road for the fork lift to be able to reach the boats that were sitting in cradles with soft sand around them.

Tom Horne