Safety strap for ladder work

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I bought a fall-suppression strap today, which has about two feet of strap bundled in a length of clear heat-shrink (I'm guessing) tubing as a shock absorber. It's six feet long with two very sturdy clips.

My lean should be more than gentle enough to avoid pulling any of the strap out of the tube. I don't really need to lean back; I just want enough security to not have to lean forward, one arm around a rung.

View attachment 2563909

I'm worried that if that shock absorber somehow lets go, you will have a very bad day, as it extends the length of the lanyard about 3' (my recollection).

Mark

busman

Occupation
“Leg irons” is another name.
The OLD steel bashlins sounded like spurs when you walked in them..
I went to aluminum Kleins about 25 years ago.
I have a new pair of Buckinham's (still in the box) from about 8 years ago. Just never seem to get around to swapping the pads to the new ones.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm worried that if that shock absorber somehow lets go, you will have a very bad day, as it extends the length of the lanyard about 3' (my recollection).
That was my main concern (it's two feet). I used it today, as a simple loop around me and the ladder.

I tested the strap by pushing against it harder than my leaning would impose, and it was rock solid.

Overall, it was a great help, and freed both hands as I expected it to. it was a good investment ($45).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a new pair of Buckinham's (still in the box) from about 8 years ago. Just never seem to get around to swapping the pads to the new ones.
I've been using a pair of old Climb Right aluminum spurs for years with the West Coast style aluminum cuffs. Lots of cool looking new styles out there but I can't let go of the old ones.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I tend to walk up a pole straight legged.
The kleins kick out is almost non existent.
The profile is kind of like a gecko gaff.
Not sure if Buckingham or bashlin are the straightest..

busman

Occupation
Larry - did you consider looking for used Lineman belt and Lanyard on the Lineman Forums. There are usually a few lineman at any given time who have recently retired and selling their gear. Since the change from 2-D ring to 4-D ring belts, some of the ones being sold are fairly new. I'll try to find a few examples. That strap you bought still worries me.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I did. They used to have a sellers forum, but they seem to have been taken over by SPAM.
There are lots like that. Once the owners try to make money in advertisements, the forums go downhill fast.
The lineman forums were great years ago. Now it’s rare to see a good question come up.

alexfox1986

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is there a harness or strap made to allow me to lean back to free both hands while working on a ladder?
Hi!

Yes, there are safety harnesses and straps available that are designed to allow you to work hands-free while on a ladder. They are typically called "ladder safety systems" and consist of a harness that is worn by the user and is attached to an anchorage point on the ladder.

The harness typically includes a tether or lanyard that is attached to the anchorage point and can be adjusted to allow the user to lean back and work hands-free. Some ladder safety systems also include a shock-absorbing component in case of a fall.

It's important to note that ladder safety systems should only be used by those who are trained and experienced in ladder safety, and they should be used in conjunction with other safety practices, such as proper ladder setup, use of a spotter, and use of appropriate safety gear.

busman

Occupation
Hi!

Yes, there are safety harnesses and straps available that are designed to allow you to work hands-free while on a ladder. They are typically called "ladder safety systems" and consist of a harness that is worn by the user and is attached to an anchorage point on the ladder.

The harness typically includes a tether or lanyard that is attached to the anchorage point and can be adjusted to allow the user to lean back and work hands-free. Some ladder safety systems also include a shock-absorbing component in case of a fall.

It's important to note that ladder safety systems should only be used by those who are trained and experienced in ladder safety, and they should be used in conjunction with other safety practices, such as proper ladder setup, use of a spotter, and use of appropriate safety gear.
Aren't these just for fixed ladders? I'm not aware of a system for extension ladders. I'm sure I still have more to learn.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.