Schneider Panel recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
The guy I talked to at Schneider yesterday indicated the instructions just became available yesterday around 4pm. It's a pretty straight forward process. You fill out an inventory sheet with catalog numbers and quantities, and they send you a reimbursement and a bunch of green dot stickers with the recall name on it to be placed on the interior of panelboards. I'm working through finding a list of all of our affected panelboards now, and will start inspecting and remediating if necessary next week.
How do the green dot stickers fix anything? Are they to inform future folks that the panels have been inspected/repaired? Do you know if there is remediation short of replacement, provided there's no damage to the neutral bus?

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver

Occupation
I finally got through to Schneider's tech support, and they sent me the "Contractor Package" of documents. It includes repair instructions. I can't attach them here as they're too large. Anyone need a copy? DM me, and I'll forward the email.

SceneryDriver

kwired

Electron manager
How do the green dot stickers fix anything? Are they to inform future folks that the panels have been inspected/repaired? Do you know if there is remediation short of replacement, provided there's no damage to the neutral bus?

SceneryDriver
Since the recall was for a improperly torqued lug/fastener, it just something to indicate that problem been fixed, presuming the person with the stickers did what they were supposed to do.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I'm probably shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but I gotta say, the ability to quickly and easily locate past customers that you've installed these recalled items for... is a darn impressive management system. Pardon my French. I mean, I could it, but I'd have to sort through some paperwork. Wish I could get to that level.

Some of you guys must be a lot bigger/more developed than I assumed you were. I thought I was just talking to a bunch of fellow IC's on their home computers. Darn impressive. Got me feeling kinda inadequate. Props to you all.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm probably shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but I gotta say, the ability to quickly and easily locate past customers that you've installed these recalled items for... is a darn impressive management system. Pardon my French. I mean, I could it, but I'd have to sort through some paperwork. Wish I could get to that level.

Some of you guys must be a lot bigger/more developed than I assumed you were. I thought I was just talking to a bunch of fellow IC's on their home computers. Darn impressive. Got me feeling kinda inadequate. Props to you all.
The recall notifications I have had were all for items that were purchased via special orders with a job name on the order. When it comes to I-line, NQ/NF panels and breakers, that is the best way to purchase them, job order with all the Square D items needed on that job on the order, even add some extras for your own stock or other jobs to some extent because they give you a pretty good price this way vs buying all the same items "over the counter".

I have needed just three or four NF breakers before, is less cost to order them with cheapest panelboard you can get than to purchase them "over the counter" and save the, cabinet, panelboard, etc. for spare parts or sell as scrap metal.

"over the counter" purchase items with no job name on them would be much more difficult to track where it might been installed in many instances.

Jerramundi

Occupation
"over the counter" purchase items with no job name on them would be much more difficult to track where it might been installed in many instances.
Well if they're doing the tracking for you, that's one thing.

I'm talking about what I consider to be the "every day, real world, independent contractor" having what would essentially amount to a "client side" system (i.e. you, me, us being the clients of companies like Square D) that you could get notification of a recall like this and search your own files quickly and easily. I have a management system, but it definitely needs revising and it is not searchable by panel model numbers. That kind of database takes a lot of know how that, in my own experience, most IC's do NOT have. Call me crazy, but I don't think Billy Bob in the astro van knows how to program a database like that, lol.

Anyhoo, just saying props to those of you that can manage it at that level. It's impressive. Admirable too.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I purchase all SquareD through 1 distributor except for an occasional breaker I might pick up at a big box.

I put job names on all material orders. I can enter an item number into my distributors system and it will bring up all invoices with job names that item was purchased. This obviously will not give date of manufacture info but I can easily narrow down the jobs that could be effected.

Edited to add..... The manufactures can and will get purchaser info from the supply houses on recalled items. I have received a number of notices over the years from manufactures than include dates of purchase. The big box stores can't provide this info since they have no idea who is walking out the door with the items.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Well if they're doing the tracking for you, that's one thing.

I'm talking about what I consider to be the "every day, real world, independent contractor" having what would essentially amount to a "client side" system (i.e. you, me, us being the clients of companies like Square D) that you could get notification of a recall like this and search your own files quickly and easily. I have a management system, but it definitely needs revising and it is not searchable by panel model numbers. That kind of database takes a lot of know how that, in my own experience, most IC's do NOT have. Call me crazy, but I don't think Billy Bob in the astro van knows how to program a database like that, lol.

Anyhoo, just saying props to those of you that can manage it at that level. It's impressive. Admirable too.
I would assume they come up with an item with a recall and specific date codes of said item that are recalled. Then any sales they have records of that have potential effected items they send notices to. Since I bought said items through a distributor they have information on that sale. Those job quote pricing sales after all are a price that Schneider tells the distributor what price they will sell the job for, and probably something I don't see is what the distributor makes on the sale. Bottom line is they know they sold me something that potentially is recalled and as long as that sale had a job name on the order, I will know where to look for the potentially recalled item(s). I very possibly still need to go to that installation and look at date codes to verify whether or not the item is one that is actually part of the recall.

Purchase an item from say big box store that later gets recalled, you likely won't get such notifications, maybe some chance if you purchased it with your store credit card or on line where they actually can track who it was sold to, but then you would also need to have better method of tracking where it might have been installed. Job name/PO number on the order could help with this.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Purchase an item from say big box store that later gets recalled, you likely won't get such notifications, maybe some chance if you purchased it with your store credit card or on line where they actually can track who it was sold to, but then you would also need to have better method of tracking where it might have been installed. Job name/PO number on the order could help with this.
I believe HD has that option at self-checkout, or at least they did for a while.

It's just that most trips to HD, in my case, were single items, and you're in a hurry to get back to the job, so entering that information is just annoying, IMO. You're trying to squeeze lunch and a Depot run in 30m and now they want a Job PO #? Forget about it, lol.

For most big purchases prior to the start of a job, I would rely on supply houses / distributors.

Anyway, I/we digress. I was just saying that that type of tracking system was impressive. That's all.

retirede

I believe HD has that option at self-checkout, or at least they did for a while.

It's just that most trips to HD, in my case, were single items, and you're in a hurry to get back to the job, so entering that information is just annoying, IMO. You're trying to squeeze lunch and a Depot run in 30m and now they want a Job PO #? Forget about it, lol.

For most big purchases prior to the start of a job, I would rely on supply houses / distributors.

Anyway, I/we digress. I was just saying that that type of tracking system was impressive. That's all.

If you trust HD enough to store a credit card to your Pro account, it will keep a record of all purchases made with that card. You don’t have to do anything extra at checkout. Job# is optional. At least you can go back and see exactly what you purchased by date.

kwired

Electron manager

If you trust HD enough to store a credit card to your Pro account, it will keep a record of all purchases made with that card. You don’t have to do anything extra at checkout. Job# is optional. At least you can go back and see exactly what you purchased by date.
With today's computers not so impressive anymore. Like retirede said, if you purchased with a card, even a general mastercard/visa or even with a check, it is possible to recall transactions if you have the card or account number. Or the other way around, if there is a recall on an item, they can easily recall all transactions where that item was sold. Whether they choose to gather more information to possibly notify the purchaser is the only thing that may stop them from doing so. It would be cash transactions that would be difficult to tie to a specific purchaser.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Well, it just gets stupider and stupider.

I'm waiting for a panel cover for a 200A 42-space QO panel. I ordered the panel and cover separately in March (it's what I could get). Panel cover was still backordered as of yesterday from my original vendor, but I found out that Zoro had a few in stock. I jumped on it and ordered one immediately, only to receive an email from Zoro an hour later, saying they couldn't ship my panel cover and that my order had been canceled.

Some dingus at Square D apparently included the part number for the panel cover in the recall notice that's affecting PoN QO panels. That's why Zoro won't ship the cover.

Cool. Not like I have a final inspection I need to pass...

SceneryDriver

kwired

Electron manager
So this is for QO plug-on neutral. Anybody know when they first released that?
got email with some information from my supplier as well as my purchases history of items that might be effected.

instruction bulletin they sent out is dated 6/22, that revision says it replaces one dated 4/22.

date codes of effected products is Feb 1, 2020 to Jan 12, 2022.

Problem appears to be they didn't drill hole properly for some reason through the main neutral bar that the screw connecting the link to the plug on neutral bus gets tapped into (self tapping screw I believe) and this caused the screw to not clamp down enough before it reached the tightening torque when installing so the link to the PON bus was never secure enough to assure proper continuity.

Bulletin gives instructions that essentially are to loosen the PON end of the link then tighten the effected screw on other end of link 1/4 turn at a time until the link no longer can be moved freely. Then to tighten down the PON end again (to proper torque) and then to either turn the screw on other end an additional 1/4 turn or to specified torque .

GEX49540, is the number for the instruction bulletin I made it a link to the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.