Scrap wire stripping machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

Is anybody using any scrap wire stripping machines? I have seen a few different types on the web. Some of them look pretty fast and easy. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
The times I've done it, these are the tools I used :D
Sorry not too helpful.

M078808W01.jpg
images
imgres

imgres

dhalleron

I'm going to subscribe to this thread. I'd be interested also.

Over 20 years ago we used to take wire out to a buddies property in the country and burn the insulation off. I guess you don't get as much money for blackened copper though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm going to subscribe to this thread. I'd be interested also.

Over 20 years ago we used to take wire out to a buddies property in the country and burn the insulation off. I guess you don't get as much money for blackened copper though.

Beside the fact that blackened copper is less the burning is illegal.

This one is the one I have seen advertised-- or one similar to it. Just click the arrow to play.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Stripping wire is easy when it's warm.

1) Clamp one end of wire to be stripped into vice.

2) Arrange wire so as you would be pulling backwards it will be easily worked with.

3) Using a sharp knife (I use utility knives) if you get just the right angle as you feed the wire between your thumb and forefinger you can strip wire as fast as you can walk backwards. Trying to avoid motorcycles, jacks and milk crates...oh, and making sure you duck just in time to miss the garage door you left partially down, of course.

I figure I can strip about 25 bucks an hour worth of copper wire if I put my mind to it.

Not bad pay if nothing is going on, and it frees up space in my very small garage.

hockeyoligist2

I don't mind stripping the big stuff by hand, I just leave it in the sun to soften up the insulation. I also have a friend that can strip the big stuff faster than I can pick up the insulation. I need to learn his technique!

The smaller stuff is a pain and I wish I could find something easier to do it too! I have saw a few homemade devises that looked kinda like a copper tubing cutter, my local scrap dealer has one. He said he would rent it to me, onsite, or build me one for $1,000. I might have $200 worth of small scrap a year, not worth it.

dhalleron, They won't take burned off wire around here anymore. They also make a copy of my drivers license and masters card before they will pay me. If it is over 50lb. I have to call the Sheriffs office and get a permit. Which I don't mind doing that, it is cutting down on the thievery!

I've had to replace a lot of stuff in the last few years due to thieves.

220/221

I picked up this manual stripper from an ad in EC magazine several years ago. ($200/300??) It sat around forever until I realized how much scrap copper was worth and got motivated to do a massive warehouse clean up.

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

It's pretty low tech. Just an adjustable cutting wheel. I only use it on #6 and larger. Slip the wire thru, adjust the cutting wheel down and pull like a mule.

It's not really a fun job but I filed this barrel in a couple hours. Maybe $500

IMAG0078.jpg

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The smaller stuff is a pain and I wish I could find something easier to do it too! I have seen a few homemade devises that looked kinda like a copper tubing cutter....

The best set up I have seen is a homemade stripper that has no cutting wheel, rather a pair of rollers one above the other like a wringer on an old fashioned washing machine. One of the rollers is attached to a chuck in an old Shop Smith. It mashes the wire and the insulation breaks and falls away.

No need to pretty up the wire prior to stripping. You can send a wadded up piece of #12 through and clean copper comes out. Widen the rollers a couple of turns and your all set for a bigger size.

Chris Simms

The best set up I have seen is a homemade stripper that has no cutting wheel, rather a pair of rollers one above the other like a wringer on an old fashioned washing machine. One of the rollers is attached to a chuck in an old Shop Smith. It mashes the wire and the insulation breaks and falls away.

No need to pretty up the wire prior to stripping. You can send a wadded up piece of #12 through and clean copper comes out. Widen the rollers a couple of turns and your all set for a bigger size.

I would like to see that homemade one

220/221

Right now, a trash can full of romex is about $100.
A can full of THHN is about $200
A milk crate full of HID ballasts is about $40

The only time I have ANY cash these days is after a trip to the recycler.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Check out Newman WL 100 on Youtube. Looks simple enough, especially if you only have a few gauges to strip.

Last edited:

ElectricianJeff

I go an entire different route. I found a couple who like to watch TV at night while they strip copper. They even dismantle all the old panels and fuse boxes I remove and get the copper. I call him. he comes and picks it up and we split everything down the middle. Its been working for me for several years now.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I go an entire different route. I found a couple who like to watch TV at night while they strip copper. They even dismantle all the old panels and fuse boxes I remove and get the copper. I call him. he comes and picks it up and we split everything down the middle. Its been working for me for several years now.

I guess they have a TV in the garage & do it there? Even I wouldn't strip copper in my living room. Even if I wanted to, that would be the last straw with my wife. I would be in grave danger if I brought my scrap in the house, much less the living room.

Stripper

Stripper

I picked up this manual stripper from an ad in EC magazine several years ago. ($200/300??) It sat around forever until I realized how much scrap copper was worth and got motivated to do a massive warehouse clean up.

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

This is the one I purchased, seems to work good.

I also have the big BUCKS Stripper .Do not buy it .It's very fussy and wears out quick ,The blades are expensive also.

eric_redfive

We have the Model 1000 from strip technology.

http://www.striptec.com/ws.htm

It works really well although sometimes it takes a couple of passes to get the strip depth of the blades set perfectly. Essentially no muscle required except for moving the wire around. The stripper feeds the wire and cuts the insulation - all the operator has to do is keep the wire somewhat straight as it is feeding into the stripper. We have had this unit for at least 8 years and have had no problems. I think it was about $2500 when we purchased it. Has stripped literally 10s of thousands of dollars worth of scrap. Highly recommended.

Before this, on larger wire, we laid the wire out on the ground and ran a skill saw over it with the blade depth set to the insulation thickness. It took some practice to keep the blade centered but was easy once you got the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.