Seal off

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
it is a physical design difference and the ability to pour the sealing compound. In general, you can use the seal fitting in any orientation that permits you to pour the compound into the seal fitting.

patter.curtis

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Which sealing compound product would you guys recommend be used? For my application, the wires need to be sealed coming out of a temperature class H generator enclosure (~155degC-180degC) in a class 1, div 1 location, groups B, C and D. The seal is supposed to be a “setting” compound I believe, just not sure what to use.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Which sealing compound product would you guys recommend be used? For my application, the wires need to be sealed coming out of a temperature class H generator enclosure (~155degC-180degC) in a class 1, div 1 location, groups B, C and D. The seal is supposed to be a “setting” compound I believe, just not sure what to use.
Check out Crouse Hinds “Chico”

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are required to use the sealing compound that the seal fitting was listed to be used with. It is part of the listing of the seal fitting.

patter.curtis

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You are required to use the sealing compound that the seal fitting was listed to be used with. It is part of the listing of the seal fitting.
The generator design is in the development and prototype stage at the moment, and enclosure has not been submitted for approvals yet (and the wires have to be sealed where they pass the wall of the enclosure). I am trying to select a specific epoxy that will make it past approvals for a temp class H motor/generator and want to do something similar to this photo:
pic1.PNG

Chico, Killark, Kwiko from what I gather are all limited below 75°C for an operating range (I need something up to about 180°C), so I’m thinking these compounds would not get approved for a temp class H motor.

Would you guys happen to know:
  1. Are there epoxies that are UL approved independent of a fixture (for required temperature and pressure)?
  2. The standard (UL 674) stipulates a “setting” compound (for class F or H generators), how is a "setting" compound different from a normal compound?
  3. There are pre-approved, pre-wired, feed through fixtures (for temperature and pressure) but that would mean connections within the motor enclosure would be required (we would prefer to avoid that), but is there a similar epoxy to the one which feed -through fixtures are using?
  4. If we were to just rely on pre-approved feed-through connectors, could you comment on what the requirements are (UL 674, explosion-proof generator) in terms of the wire to wire connections within our enclosure between our generator wires and the feed-through wires (do we need to do a terminal block or can we just do a wire to wire connection, and presumably the minimum useable space requirement does not apply because those connections are done in the factory)?

Status
Not open for further replies.