Sealing around coach fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdog76

I'd like do a poll on this one, but until I learn how I'll ask the question (geared more towards new resi construction:
On installing coach fixtures on either a siding block/ J block or Arlington block, they usually don't come with gaskets like a flood light would, so how many of you seal around coach fixtures? Is it something you always do? Also, is 100% silicone or something else your preferred method of sealing?

p.s. maybe someone can point me in the right direction on starting a poll...:-?

Power Tech

If it is a custom and rock I request the mason grout the fixture to match. Especially if it is a large.

I use paintable calk, water base, water seal with my finger.

I seal everything, conduit, LB's.

Entering the skirt of mobile homes I use steel screen for rodents.

I have passed (coned) the painters or an unwitting GC to calk them but most wont fall for it.:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have never ever caulked an outside light fixture.
Same here. Just about.

If a gasket or sealant was necessary for a compliant installation, the manufacturer would have such materials and instructions included in the packaging, like flood canopies and WP covers do.

Argue with that logic. :cool:

P.Ps. If you do caulk a wall-mounted fixture or other canopy, don't seal the entire circumference; leave the bottom section open to drain.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How do you handle irregular rock-work. Who is responsible for creating a nice fit.?

macmikeman

Around here are many advanced and well read up on the code book inspectors who will not pass the job unless you caulk around the fixture top and sides. I'm sure they read it someplace, they just can't remember right now....

electricmanscott

Around here are many advanced and well read up on the code book inspectors who will not pass the job unless you caulk around the fixture top and sides. I'm sure they read it someplace, they just can't remember right now....

That's usually the answer to those kind of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEO

They may be looking at section 410.10(A). Lumininaires installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed such that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts.

macmikeman

The inspector may not know where to find it in the NEC, but that should not stop a good electrician from knowing where and complying.
312.2, 314.15, 410.10(A)-'08, 410.4(A)-'05

As I said, we have well read an up on code inspectors... And I always seal, every single time I put one up, cause I like to pass inspections. They just never are able to show me where its found in the book, I test em all the time. Its all part of my schtik.

sparky76

Larry Fine said:
P.Ps. If you do caulk a wall-mounted fixture or other canopy, don't seal the entire circumference; leave the bottom section open to drain.

Thats the way I was taught

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.