SEC replacement

Hello - so we need to replace the sec due to it being frayed. There is a #4 copper coming from the footings to the panel.When I checked the water main I noticed that it had been changed to plastic. So my question is can I just add a ground rod to replace the one that went to the water pipe?


Staff member
New Jersey
Just noticed you said "SEC" in your post. To most that means service entrance conductor. Do you mean GEC as in grounding electrode conductor?
Sounds like he's changing the old SE cable and found that the water pipe electrode is no longer present because it's been changed to plastic. If the CEE exists then as you've stated no other electrodes are required to replace the water pipe electrode.