Section 210.70 Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
How about something as simple as " the wall switch need to be installed within "X" number of feet or inches from the opening side of the door jamb. Maybe throw in a height requirement/restriction.
Does the typical light switch not serve as a "disconnect" for "fastened in place utilization equipment" ? I've always thought about it that way, aside from three-ways of course. Might be opening Pandora's box w/ this one... just some food for thought.

Dare I suggest that all lighting circuit branch circuit OCPD's be lockable and risk crucifixion by the forum, lol.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the typical light switch not serve as a "disconnect" for "fastened in place utilization equipment" ? I've always thought about it that way, aside from three-ways of course. Might be opening Pandora's box w/ this one... just some food for thought.

Dare I suggest that all lighting circuit branch circuit OCPD's be lockable and risk crucifixion by the forum, lol.
It can be used as the required disconnecting means. Not all such equipment requires a disconnecting means within sight. Some cases the branch circuit device can be the disconnecting means and doesn't even require locking mechanism.

That said there is locking attachments that do work for basic wall toggle switches. NEC doesn't require them, may be cases where they can be permitted.

NEC doesn't require locking means other than when permitted to not be within sight in certain situations. There likely is many safe work practice policies that require locking the disconnect even if it is within sight though. Those often can be non permanent locking means.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Color code requirement was in the NEC in the mid 70's. Was removed as electricians would see a red wire and assume it was 120v. CMP wants you to test voltage and not assume. Why not make a PI to make a change to add color codes? You have just over a month on a PI for the 2023 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.