Securing EMT + box on unfinished wall in basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsf

Situation:
Residential
Unfinished poured or block basement walls
Adding boxes for receptacles and switches

What method do you use to secure the EMT? Do you use a straight connector at the box and a one-hole strap and not worry about maintaining consistent offset? Do you use an offset connector at the box and a one-hole strap? Do you use a straight connector and a mini? Do you use a straight connector and some other offset strap like the Crouse-Hinds Bendsaver strap? Some other cheap and fast option I did not mention?

tmbrk

If you don't have much experience bending offsets then do it without one. We do alot of exposed EMT work in basements, garages and pole buildings where it has to look nice. I'm pretty good with bending an offset but I bought an offset press because it's so much quicker.

ultramegabob

I would use my hand bender and bend a box offset, or if Im doing alot of surface mounted stuff, I would bring my offset bender (I dont keep them on the truck), and use one hole straps. I dont like conduit hanging out from the wall with minis with screws hanging out for people to snag stuff on. Offset fittings are a waste of money, and looks like a handyman did it.

teco

ultramegabob said:
I would use my hand bender and bend a box offset, or if Im doing alot of surface mounted stuff, I would bring my offset bender (I dont keep them on the truck), and use one hole straps. I dont like conduit hanging out from the wall with minis with screws hanging out for people to snag stuff on. Offset fittings are a waste of money, and looks like a handyman did it.
You make a good point. I snag myself working around my own mini clips sometimes. In a basement though I like to see emt of the wall as much as possible for moisture.

cadpoint

What's the code for stand-off in damp location's ?
Frankly I'd go with a lead pin anchor in poured walls.
With a block walls, go to the block web, I'd rather use one holes...

Last edited:

mdshunk

I keep an offset bender on the truck to use when I need to do a bunch of offsets. When I'm doing basement recs like you describe, I cut all the pipe and crank in all 8 or 10 offsets at the same time for the sump pump, general use recs, switches, etc. I like to do it that way because I don't like the "safety issue" with the hangers used on the wall like that. Using the one-hole strap seems more clean to me.

bsf

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to know what you guys/gals do. My background is almost all manufacturing automation and welding; very little construction, and even less residential. I do not like the mini?s for the same reasons mentioned; same w/ offset connectors. I bought a bender and will use a one-hole strap. I mean c?mon, I am a licensed electrician and have bent ten?s of feet of pipe in my life. :rolleyes: What was I thinking? :wink:

tonyou812

I agree with marc but I dont have a press yet so they are all hand made. Its not that difficult to match all the offsets. But if i had to do a whole house I would buy a press.

bsf

frankft2000 said:
If I were to use mini's on a job like this, I would use the Arlington plastic type. There are no bolts to snag on.
Thanks for tip. Checked those out online. How durable are they? They cost roughly twice as much as regular mini?s. If durable I would rather use those than regular mini?s in a residential basement application. Considering my lack of bending skills, probably well worth the extra buck for me if regular mini?s are unacceptable. For you guys that derive a living from ?traditional? electrical work, I do not know if choosing a more expensive method due to lack of basic skills is a recipe for financial success though.

Sparky555

frankft2000 said:
If I were to use mini's on a job like this, I would use the Arlington plastic type. There are no bolts to snag on.

Does anyone every really snag on a mini or bolt? It's obviously a matter of personal preference, either way is acceptable.

Dave

bjp_ne_elec

I do the box offset - quick as long as you're comfortable using a bender. Those one shots are nice, but if you're not doing them everyday, it probably won't pay for itself.

Arlington (I think it's them) does have a nice strap that holds the conduit to the right distance for the KO, and it's just one screw and you snap it in - NICE and SIMPLE - use these sometimes as well. I've used them on EMT, RMC and PVC.

frankft2000

bsf said:
Thanks for tip. Checked those out online. How durable are they? They cost roughly twice as much as regular mini?s. If durable I would rather use those than regular mini?s in a residential basement application.

They are strong now, but they are a realtively new product, so its hard to say what they will be in 20 years. I know some stuff like tiewraps dry out and get britol over time. Arlington makes them in 2" but I havn't dared to use them outside for a riser.

bsf

frankft2000 said:
They are strong now, but they are a realtively new product, so its hard to say what they will be in 20 years. I know some stuff like tiewraps dry out and get britol over time. Arlington makes them in 2" but I havn't dared to use them outside for a riser.
No one locally had them. I ordered 25 so I can check them out. The counter guy did not know what I was talking about until I handed him a printout of the catalog page. Then he said, ?Oh, click-straps?..? They were only $0.34/unit. That is not bad. Crouse-Hinds came out w/ a 2-piece strap last year in metal that maintains the box offset. I have no idea what the price is. This is all academic if your are fine w/ standard mini's.

ultramegabob

Sparky555 said:
Does anyone every really snag on a mini or bolt? It's obviously a matter of personal preference, either way is acceptable.

Dave

maybe Im a clod, but if it has a sharp edge or could possibly snag something, I will snag my clothes or extension cord or rake my knuckle across it, one of the things I hate is those cheap push levers they put on screen doors, I snag my shirt cuff on those all the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.