Security/surveillance cameras for apartment building

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have been asked to put together and install a camera system for a small apartment building. The owners are concerned with tenant security and loitering on the property, and want both live monitoring and recording.

My first question is whether to use a hard-wired system, where each camera gets both power and video from the recorder, or a wireless setup, so each camera only needs to get its power from a nearby source.

The link below shows the property from above and from the street. I envision two or three cameras along each of the two long walls at the top and right sides, and as many as six along the staggered front of the buildings.

https://goo.gl/maps/Pyz6i4jbmSdZEACFA

The black roof covers an enclosed space between the buildings they also want to cover, so I'm thinking three cameras inside. I think a 16-channel system would be large enough to cover everything they want.

The owners are cost-conscience. I have been looking at Costco, who carries systems by AvertX, Lorex, and Swann. Any of you know why any of these brands or systems are or are not good choices, or know of something better?

Are the red and blue lights some of the cameras have useful, or are they a waste? Any other features to be desired or avoided? As always, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Here's what I'm seeing on Costco's site:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
my best advice is to send them to someone that specializes in this.

my second best advice is to use hikvision IP cameras w/ their network NVR or synology NAS, or Ubiquiti, if you can actually find it for sale.

I won't install anything from Costco/Wal-Mart/Best Buy. Too many call backs when the manufacturer blames the installer for "bad wiring" when the PQ is terrible or has artifacts. Its all consumer grade.

I certainly understand being cost conscious. They're better off to have fewer good quality cameras and add more as they can afford it, rather than buying the lowest quality and having to replace them every 2-4/yrs.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
Do Costco, etc. use AvertX, Lorex, and Swann systems themselves? No, they don't.

Definitely go with a hard-wired IP system instead of wireless. Hikvision's ColorVu line is an excellent choice. If their TV system is a private system, you could even put the front door camera(s) on TV channels.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
my best advice is to send them to someone that specializes in this.

my second best advice is to use hikvision IP cameras w/ their network NVR or synology NAS, or Ubiquiti, if you can actually find it for sale.

I won't install anything from Costco/Wal-Mart/Best Buy. Too many call backs when the manufacturer blames the installer for "bad wiring" when the PQ is terrible or has artifacts. Its all consumer grade.

I certainly understand being cost conscious. They're better off to have fewer good quality cameras and add more as they can afford it, rather than buying the lowest quality and having to replace them every 2-4/yrs.
Just limit the warranty to 23months, duh. Jk.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
The owner of a pharmacy that I do work for purchased Swan cameras and DVR from Costco. They work, but cheap, cheap plastic. Since he bought them, they were his responsibility. After installing them, I would never purchase and install them for a customer.
Definitely go with IP cameras and either NVR or Cloud storage. Forget wireless. I have used Hikvision, Honeywell and Alibi, all decent. A question for you is who is going to retrieve video from the NVR if / when it's needed? If you go with a local a NVR be careful when choosing the size of the storage as it seems you have several cameras. Also, you may have to teach the owner's how to retrieve video from it. They will forget and call you. Cloud storage is easier to deploy and the owner's use an app but it costs $ per month, which you could profit from. Also be cautious of complete IP camera systems that include cables. I have found that the CAT5 cables are CCA, copper clad aluminum, not good for POE connections. Use your own CAT5 and make your own RJ45 connections. If you install CAT5 cables outdoors, install in conduit or use sunlight resistant CAT5. Keep the 330ft distance limitation in mind. You could go with analog cameras and DVR as well. Less costly and distance isn't as crucial. Use Siamese coax so your power and video are in the same jacket. Hope this helps.

Todd0x1

I use alot of LTS (which is owned by Hikvision) and have had good success with them.

With regard to the red and blue lights, this is my personal opinion only, but they make a property look like a cheap crime filled location.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I actually like the blue static and rotating lights (when motion is detected) on my Ubiquiti G4 Pro's

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I use alot of LTS (which is owned by Hikvision) and have had good success with them.
It isn't that Hikvision owns LTS. LTS is its own company, selling Hikvision OEM products, just as SecurityTronix, Hitachi, and the SuperCircuits of Alibi's cameras, along with ~8 dozen other brands are.

Same thing with Dahua. Amcrest, Speco, and ADI's Capture line, along with ~4 dozen other brands are Dahua OEM products. Lorex IS owned by Dahua.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
Do you have an opinion about Lorex?
While my go to is Hikvision, Dahua makes an excellent product -- Lorex is just their economy line (IMHO), which means it's a decent camera. I'm just not a fan of the kits (by any manufacturer). Not any 1 camera fits all needs.

At my home, I have a NUUO NVR, mostly Hikvision cameras (4 different models), and an Axis camera. Sometimes you gotta mix-n-match.

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
Take a look at getscw.com. I have used them and referred other to them with nothing but positive results. I had an NVR drive that went out near the end of the warranty period and they quickly replaced it, no questions asked and assisted with the replacement over the phone. It was back up and running in 10 minutes with their tech support,
They also have good design criteria with examples of the views and clarity.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Take a look at getscw.com. I have used them and referred other to them with nothing but positive results. I had an NVR drive that went out near the end of the warranty period and they quickly replaced it, no questions asked and assisted with the replacement over the phone. It was back up and running in 10 minutes with their tech support,
They also have good design criteria with examples of the views and clarity.
Thanks!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
While my go to is Hikvision, Dahua makes an excellent product -- Lorex is just their economy line (IMHO), which means it's a decent camera. I'm just not a fan of the kits (by any manufacturer). Not any 1 camera fits all needs.
I'm considering this system. 10 cameras outside, 3 inside, 3 spares.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You are best off pointing them in a direction of somebody that does this for a living. There's a lot of things that are not obvious, plus despite what people will tell you these things need a lot of maintenance particularly the outdoor ones. A lot of security alarm companies also do cameras and they are probably the best places to go usually.

The security alarm companies have technicians available around the clock to keep these things up and running. Unless you want to be the 24/7 technician.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I'm considering this system. 10 cameras outside, 3 inside, 3 spares.

I'm going to have to rethink my position on kits. Those cameras are comparable to Hikvision's ColorVu line, of which I have a few. What makes them even better is the motorized varifocal lens. That takes it from about a 2.8mm lens to ~12mm. If it were me, though, I'd change out that hard drive in the NVR. If all cameras are configured for 4k, that 4TB HDD will give only a few days of recording time. I'd go with (2) 10TB drives, and, if it would let me, I would configure it as a RAID. That way, if a drive fails, I wouldn't lose anything.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm going to have to rethink my position on kits. Those cameras are comparable to Hikvision's ColorVu line, of which I have a few. What makes them even better is the motorized varifocal lens. That takes it from about a 2.8mm lens to ~12mm. If it were me, though, I'd change out that hard drive in the NVR. If all cameras are configured for 4k, that 4TB HDD will give only a few days of recording time. I'd go with (2) 10TB drives, and, if it would let me, I would configure it as a RAID. That way, if a drive fails, I wouldn't lose anything.
One might think so. I just had two raid one systems that failed within a few months of each other. They failed so bad that the drives had to be reformatted and windows reloaded. In any case there's nothing really worth worrying about if you lose your security footage. You almost never use it for anything. In most cases it doesn't do any good even if something happens because their resolution is just not good enough to do much good.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
One might think so. I just had two raid one systems that failed within a few months of each other. They failed so bad that the drives had to be reformatted and windows reloaded. In any case there's nothing really worth worrying about if you lose your security footage. You almost never use it for anything. In most cases it doesn't do any good even if something happens because their resolution is just not good enough to do much good.
They were standalone NVRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.