Security/surveillance cameras for apartment building

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
They were standalone NVRs?
These two computers just happen to be HMI servers. No real difference as far as the computer goes. No idea why they failed but the same brand I think I bought 15 or 20 of them for the same customer over the last 3 or 4 years and four or five have failed now. I will not be buying this brand anymore.

Ironically two of the four or five that failed were the only two that had raid drive arrays.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
These two computers just happen to be HMI servers. No real difference as far as the computer goes. No idea why they failed but the same brand I think I bought 15 or 20 of them for the same customer over the last 3 or 4 years and four or five have failed now. I will not be buying this brand anymore.

Ironically two of the four or five that failed were the only two that had raid drive arrays.
In standalone NVRs, the HDDs are for storage only. The OS is not on them. Too much potential for a major failure, as you unfortunately experienced.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
I'm considering this system. 10 cameras outside, 3 inside, 3 spares.

Since the Lorex kit includes cables for the cameras, check to be sure they are not CCA type CAT5. Copper clad aluminum cable is not a good choice with PoE due to heating issues at the RJ45 connectors and when bundled. I contacted Alibi about this since that was the cable type they offered with their packaged systems. Their next catalog they offered all copper CAT5. This link shows CCA- https://www.alibisecurity.com/video-cable-cat6-1000-ft-550-mhz-cab-cat6-1000a This link shows all copper- https://www.alibisecurity.com/utp-plenum-rated-1000-ft-cat6-bulk-cable-gray-cab-cat6p-1000

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
New question:

Conduit size for 14 to 16 CAT-5 cables. Is 1" EMT large enough, or should I use 1-1/4" EMT?

It would be a straight vertical drop, about 16' to 20' from attic to floor in an interior hallway.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
New question:

Conduit size for 14 to 16 CAT-5 cables. Is 1" EMT large enough, or should I use 1-1/4" EMT?

It would be a straight vertical drop, about 16' to 20' from attic to floor in an interior hallway.
See NEC 2017 Article 725.144 for bundling, most likely going to happen at each end of the conduit. Consider riser cable. Bond the EMT?
This article has a guide. See the note on attenuation in EMT. https://www.cablify.ca/conduit-fill-guide-for-data-cables/ if running on the wall surface you may want to consider something like this https://www.showmecables.com/icc-1-...1ovhtLVKyq-2AhlorYlazhcZvKPmcQicaAuG0EALw_wcB

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you for those. So, 1-1/4" conduit is the smallest.

I don't believe an isolated LV sleeve requires bonding.

The channel does not provide any vandalism resistance.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Depending on the NVR, the camera locations and if there is a secure closet on the higher floor(s) a PoE switch could be used for camera connections and then one Cat5 or 6 trunk line ran from the switch to the NVR location. The NVR should see the IP cameras on the network. Each camera may not need to be home run to the NVR. Just a thought. Always a good idea to bench test the NVR and a camera or two before installing on the job. Include a UPS or at the least a good surge protection for the NVR even if it's a power strip type.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I use 2 PoE switches in my system -- the main one that most of the cameras go to, and another in the garage that has 3 cameras connected to it, that then goes to the main switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.