Seperate ground clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fmkehoe

Occupation
Inspector
I usually run one conductor unbroken to two rods, eliminating a third clamp.
That’s what the inspector said. One continuous wire from one rod to another rod, 6’+ away and then to panel.... ok. But if it is two separate wires that it Hass to be on two separate clamps.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That’s what the inspector said. One continuous wire from one rod to another rod, 6’+ away and then to panel.... ok. But if it is two separate wires that it Hass to be on two separate clamps.

Yes the inspector is correct.

rods_zps4036cebc.jpg

Fmkehoe

Occupation
Inspector
Thank you. I don’t doubt the “legality”of it, I was just wondering
WHY? I mean the current going thru there is not going to know
if there are 1 or 2 clamps. Just wondering why things are done.
In the NYC Transit, we say our rule book is written in blood, because every time there is a new rule, it’s usually because someone died.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The rule is based on the testing required to get the clamp listed, it was likely only tested with one conductor or failed the test with two. Either way you need to use the clamp according to it's listing which means one conductor only. As Larry stated just leave the conductor long enough to pass through one clamp.

JFletcher

I usually run one conductor unbroken to two rods, eliminating a third clamp.

I have always run it that way, because I was taught that was code.:ashamed1:

I disagree with the Mike Holt graphic on 250.64 C... One does not have a valid electrode under the code with one rod that is untested. I do not see how a jumper can be run from one electrode to another under that section.

I am pretty sure I am wrong and the graphic is right, not sure where to look that allows what I suppose is considered as a bonding jumper between the rods to be used in place of a continuous or irreversibly spliced GEC.

Edited to add... Does the ground rod clamp count as the irreversible splice?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have always run it that way, because I was taught that was code.:ashamed1:

I disagree with the Mike Holt graphic on 250.64 C... One does not have a valid electrode under the code with one rod that is untested. I do not see how a jumper can be run from one electrode to another under that section.

I am pretty sure I am wrong and the graphic is right, not sure where to look that allows what I suppose is considered as a bonding jumper between the rods to be used in place of a continuous or irreversibly spliced GEC.

Edited to add... Does the ground rod clamp count as the irreversible splice?

The graphic it's correct. The GEC ends at the first rod the second conductor is a bonding jumper and it's not required to be continuous.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The acorn clamps I use you can barely fit one conductor in. No way two would fit. To be honest, I'd rather spend $3-$4 more for another clamp rather than wrestle with the #6 trying to run it through the clamp and back out.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
FWIW, you can also run separate # 6's from each rod back to the panel if your situation calls for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.