SER cable in LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMO the NEC requires the connector to be grounded, regardless of the long shot, regardless of rim joists or how loud you would scream. :)
I see the need for a plastic SE connector.:thumbsup: While I agree that the connector should be grounded, if EI's start failing a high quality service installation/upgrade for a picayune issue like that it's time for me to hang up my tool belt and put my tools on Ebay.:roll:

iwire

Staff member
While I agree that the connector should be grounded, if EI's start failing a high quality service installation/upgrade for a picayune issue like that it's time for me to hang up my tool belt and put my tools on Ebay.:roll:

We will have to disagree, IMO the EI would be doing the job they are hired for.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We will have to disagree, IMO the EI would be doing the job they are hired for.
OK. We can agree to disagree. As a solution, how about if I ran a # 6 along side the SE cable, stripped one end and slid it under the clamp of the squeeze connector and landed the other end on the ground bar inside the panel. Would I then meet (at least the intent of) the Code or are you going to tell me that the squeeze connector is not being used in accordance with mfr's recommendations ?

iwire

Staff member
As a solution, how about if I ran a # 6 along side the SE cable, stripped one end and slid it under the clamp of the squeeze connector and landed the other end on the ground bar inside the panel. Would I then meet (at least the intent of) the Code or are you going to tell me that the squeeze connector is not being used in accordance with mfr's recommendations ?

I am going to tell you your solution is not a solution it would be a 250.8 violation.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMO the NEC requires the connector to be grounded, regardless of the long shot, regardless of rim joists or how loud you would scream. :)
Amen, you win. I'm not going to argue my point any further. I just get irritated when an EI approaches a job with the intent of finding ways to fail a job rather than ways to pass it. While the EI may be doing his job I still think it's a picayune issue to fail what would otherwise be a quality installation.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If one was to chase a diecast LB into the side of an outdoor panel and stub up emt instead of pvc, then LB again into the attic with a 4" rigid nipple is that a violation if one was to put a bonding bushing on the end of the rigid nipple and a bond wire from the bushing to the EGB ?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Also, I can agree, trying to bend SER Cable through any type of LB Fitting is nearly impossible without removing the outer sheath.

So what's one supposed to do in this case other than pull individual conductors through the conduit to a junction box and needlessly splice to the SER cable in the attic?

JAP>

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
ser

ser

Can you strip back the sheathing of SER cable that enters a short piece of conduit and then into a LB. Where the LB is used for protection?
I know you cannot as NM conductors are not labeled THHN or XHHW.

Thanks
The answer is, yes you can and i've done it a thousand times!!!!!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The answer is, yes you can and i've done it a thousand times!!!!!!

Because you have done it a thousand times does not necessarily make it compliant. Not passing judgement just saying we sometimes do things that pass that may not be compliant. I know I have

Around here it is common to have an external panel and have a coupling out the back of the panel with many cables push thru. All the homeruns for the homes were done this way and accepted. Not compliant but accepted

jap

Occupation
Electrician
312.5c seems to prefer the cable come out of any side other than the top.
It's when you decide to come out of the top is when all of the rules of the exception get you.

Keep it simple.

Come out of the back, bottom or sides and leave yourself some bargaining ground should you ever need to defend your install. :)

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.