Service Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you telling me that he has extra long feeders because the main CBs are at the original wall where he first installed the panels?

The two breakers on the exterior wall are now his service mains - the meter is on the outside directly behind them - and the loadcentrs are now subfeed panels.

kwired

Electron manager
I bet it was faster than moving the panels over there would have been.

Installing 400 amp meter main would have been faster, would have taken less space (now you have two areas that need 110.26 clearances in that room) and after adding the cost of the equipment and cable may have cost about the same.

Why are the main breakers in a type 3R enclosure and installed flush in the wall? Looks like grounding electrode conductor is not installed either.

kwired

Electron manager
I meant as a fix. Of course, doing it once is best.

I still see no problem with original install except for the LB. If there is local code that requires the disconnect on the exterior wall then I guess it needs changed. I would have made sure that inspector verifies the local code and it is not just his code. I want to see proper documentation.

One other thing to do would have been to find a way to encase the raceways in 2 inches of concrete - 230.6 would then consider them outside of the building.

kwired

Electron manager
Hey Alex, you should've gotten a licensed P.E. to write you a letter. The building dept. would've backed down.

IF, and I said IF, there is a local amendment that does not allow his install, why should they back down? Like I said I thought it was ok and will pass in most places, but if they do have a local amendment then why should there be exceptions unless the exceptions are in the amendment. They made the rules for a reason and you are trying to get around that. If the rules need to be changed that is a different situation from a single installation.

erickench

Yea well I'm not licensed in his state. But a few months ago an electrician here in the city asked me for a letter to energize a house that had an electrical fire. Of course I excluded the room where the fire started.

Jim W in Tampa

No problem code wise with extra breakers. This truly is a sad situation. Your original install was far safer and would pass inspection here. Only question i have is why did you not put the panels in the location of disc. to begin with.

kwired

Electron manager
Yea well I'm not licensed in his state. But a few months ago an electrician here in the city asked me for a letter to energize a house that had an electrical fire. Of course I excluded the room where the fire started.

What does that have to do with any of this thread?

alex_713

No problem code wise with extra breakers. This truly is a sad situation. Your original install was far safer and would pass inspection here. Only question i have is why did you not put the panels in the location of disc. to begin with.

I agree; we placed the panels in that corner of the garage because 90% of the branch circuits were going in that direction. Including the washer, dryer, 2nd floor sub panel, 2 AHU's, 2 A/C compressors, ice maker, data rack, dishwasher, microwave, fridge, freezer, HVL, etc. It would have made for quite a bit more lengths of 12/2 to reach the extra 10'-15' over and the exterior wall wasn't nearly as easy to get wires down into. We figured that corner to be the optimal place between points "A" and "B" and didn't think there would be any problems with getting it passed. It just happened to turn into a giant mess and that's why I wanted to post it here and get other's opinions.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.