Share Your Avatar Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is not an NEC issue, but there is no better place to put it.

Now that the ability to attach an Avatar to your profile is no longer a "Moderators Only" privilege (grumble, grumble :cry: ? perhaps now at least I can get a raise to compensate me for the lost benefit :wink: ), I have seen some interesting images appear. Some are funny, some are inspiring, some are just plain peculiar.

Anyone wish to share their Avatar story? Where did you get it? Why did you pick it? What does it mean to you?

Here's mine:

My first trip to Seattle was in September of 1992. We lived in Chicago at the time, and took the train. I signed up for one early morning fishing trip on Puget Sound. Naturally enough (for those who know me), I brought my camera. As the sun was coming up, I looked to the Southeast, and saw it rising over Mount Rainier. As I started taking pictures, a Washington State Ferry crossed between the fishing boat and the mountain. That is the shot you see in my Avatar. I have a framed 16x20 copy on the wall of my office at home.

By the way, I was the only person on board to catch a salmon that day (the only other thing caught was dogfish, and we threw them all back). I paid the charter boat people to have it smoked and shipped back to me in Chicago. Taking into account the train fare, hotels, charter fishing fee, license fee, and the costs for smoking and shipping, it was by far the most expensive meal (in terms of dollars per pound) I have ever had.

peteo

I was surfing though the library web site, where they have an extensive collection of historic newpaper clippings and photos. In that collection was a series of stories about the mid-1950s atomic bomb tests in Nevada. People would flock to diners, etc., to watch the sky light up. The one photo told an entire story, here's someone with city hall and an atomic test in the background. Just such an unusual picture, I saved it to my hard drive. Hope there's no copyright issue, it was in the Herald Examiner. Now this forum lets me share it. Perhaps something more friendly would be more appropriate...
grumble, grumble
Whats the beef? :p

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Some years back I finally got excited about an "identity" image to include on my cards. I was just using up the previous batch. I had an artist friend develope the image below:
Click to enlarge

While surfing sometime last year for avatars, I bumped into the little .GIF file I'm currently using. . .but I've forgotten the link to the source, as I saved it to my local disk that day last year.

There are so many images from my physical life that I could use, but, to me, this forum and community is about concrete things that are abstracted from ideas, and holding, supporting, grasping the idea is the object. :wink:

fc

Meucci discovered the principle of the telephone in 1849 and developed a working model by 1859, many years before Alexander Graham Bell's patent. However, the vagaries of history and the patent office have determined that Antonio Meucci will only be recognized in Italy as the true inventor of the telephone.

:lol:

growler

I believe there is an adage about sleeping dogs. Plus I couldn't find an avatar that represented the one about a fool and his money.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Nothing like riding a big two wheeler on the Wisconsin backroads in the summertime. Lots of rolling hills and cows.

iwire

Staff member
There is no deep meaning to mine, I just happen to think Clint looks cool. 8)

I also find the characters he generally portrays are strong willed, no nonsense, take responsibility for their own actions types of people. All traits I try to emulate.

There is also the fact that many days I too look dirty and mean according to those around me. :p

ryan_618

Originally I had a picture of Bela Lugosi as Dracula for my avatar, since I am a collector of horror films. Then I remembered an e-mail someone sent me of a penguin getting smacked, so I used it. Sometimes I'm the lapper, and sometimes I am the slapee. :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Charlie
Taking into account the train fare, hotels, charter fishing fee, license fee, and the costs for smoking and shipping, it was by far the most expensive meal (in terms of dollars per pound) I have ever had.

If it cost that much for one fish, aren't you glad you didn't catch two? :lol:

amptech

I didn't know I could have one until I saw this thread. Mine, if it works, is the tractor my dad bought as a rustbucket at a sale in 1968. We restored it and used it to plant corn until he retired in 1993. My dad is gone but I still have the tractor and use it around the farm. It is a 1950 H and replaced the 1941 H my dad and grandmother bought new in 1941. It is the first thing I learned to drive when I was 8 and the same is true for both of my daughters.

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Think mine is easy to guess.I love to download mp3

Not easy for me, I had no idea that had to do with mp3s. :oops:

By the way, great idea for a thread Charlie, I find peoples choices interesting. 8)

From peppers to superheros to 'dope slapped' penguins it's all good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.