sharing mech and elec supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

I have ductwork being supported from my electrical unistrut hangers and do not want them to be on there. I would like to show them a code that prohibits this type of installation, does anyone know of one.

raider1

Staff member
I don't believe that there is any NEC code section that would prohibit other systems to be supported by unistrut that also supports electrical systems. This may be a job spec though.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Or it may be you paid to install it, so they have no right to hang from it without asking you first.

And I agree with Chris, not a violation.

Bryan Price

If the rack is hanging where the duct needs to be; shareing the strut may be less expensive than moving the rack. Those mechanical contractors are space hogs:D

dicklaxt

Many years ago there was a manual that covered raceway installations and they addressed it then as 6" clear when crossing and 12" clear when running parallel,it is not in print anymore.A number of engineering firms adopted that as their standard,it seems it doesn't matter who got there first, Electrical is always the redheaded step child and will be forced to move if there is a conflict unless you can prove it is a great cost to do so.

I have always tried to reserve space with mechanical and pipe guys up front and have found them to be good to work with and not much trouble to deal with if an interferance were to come up but you don't win many battles over real estate.

dick

480sparky

More than once I've built a trapeze for all the trades that need one.

School_Auditorium_Conduit_Work.jpg

One caveat, however. The other trades have to get their stuff in FAST, or else my conduits are gonna cover them up.

rpjaj5

You can try and charge them a % of what it cost your company to install the rack.
Why should your company pay to support the installation of other trades equipment, ducting etc?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How is sharing supports any different than strapping a piece of EMT to a block or Sheetrock wall with a one hole strap? IMO they both become part of the building structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.