shunt disco very long path... network signal to trigger... or dry contact only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I have to run 400' over hill and dale - transitioning levels and materials to get to a very old fpe qmqb 100a 3phase disco
I am looking for alternative methods.

I have been running some very useful network control of HVAC systems lately with network control picking GErr7's
really pretty robust - sometimes there is a little network lag, that's about it

In this case this is an existing structure that has just got a State Inspector call for a disconnect within sight.
The machine has a local shutdown control but no local disconnect of all conductors coming out to the unit.
Like me,,, It's pretty old =0
hihi

That's all fine
Low voltage shunt wire may be what I run.
I'm looking for feedback on alternate ways to intercept those power wires way over there without [my son] crawling 200' in the mud then coming up and running emt on concrete, boring and coring all the way.

Network picking GE RR7 looks appealing.
Forget about using RF!!
I may just use some dry contacts and skinny Cu anyway because I really don't ever want to have that thing shunt when it's not supposed to or,,, the other way around !

thanks Guys
2015-01-16 09.51.24.jpg

Hello,

How far apart are those setups? What voltage are they?

Pjholguin

I have to run 400' over hill and dale - transitioning levels and materials to get to a very old fpe qmqb 100a 3phase disco
I am looking for alternative methods.

I have been running some very useful network control of HVAC systems lately with network control picking GErr7's
really pretty robust - sometimes there is a little network lag, that's about it

In this case this is an existing structure that has just got a State Inspector call for a disconnect within sight.
The machine has a local shutdown control but no local disconnect of all conductors coming out to the unit.
Like me,,, It's pretty old =0
hihi

That's all fine
Low voltage shunt wire may be what I run.
I'm looking for feedback on alternate ways to intercept those power wires way over there without [my son] crawling 200' in the mud then coming up and running emt on concrete, boring and coring all the way.

Network picking GE RR7 looks appealing.
Forget about using RF!!
I may just use some dry contacts and skinny Cu anyway because I really don't ever want to have that thing shunt when it's not supposed to or,,, the other way around !

thanks Guys
View attachment 11749

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Looks like 200 linear feet and almost 400 foot of wire from the point of use to the source.
It's 240v 3phase 100a
Thx

In belief, man can do anything

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Update : insp may be ok with a much shorter run from operator to unit in which case the job is straightforward thx !

In belief, man can do anything

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
That's exactly what I was wondering! Looks like 36" and a code violation...

would that be a code violation ... or a utility engineer question
they were less strict in the 1950's than they are today!

no 4160 no 12k no 480 just 1950FP

Status
Not open for further replies.