Shunt Trip Breakers Commercial Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Augie,
In the IFC 2006 904.11.2 System interconnection.-"The actuation of the fire extinguishing system shall automatically shut down the fuel or electric power to the cooking equipment. The fuel and electric supply reset shall be manual." Also articles 904.5 Wet-chemical systems and 904.11 Commercial cooking systems direct you back to NFPA 17A. These would not require anything beyond previous stated NFPA 17A requirements.

Rick,
Interpretation of this is one of those things that is almost humorous. I talked with various enforcement folks in the past few days and most state "everything" under the hood must be disconnected. When pressed for details they quote NFPA of Fire Codes stating what you quoted. The "devil is in the details", one Fire Marshal stating that anything electrical is a potential "heat source". It appears to be one of those areas where overlapping jurisdiction and misinformation has taken precedence over Code.

benaround

Larry,
Rick stated that the electric supply reset must be manual.
Augie,
In the IFC 2006 904.11.2 System interconnection.-"The actuation of the fire extinguishing system shall automatically shut down the fuel or electric power to the cooking equipment. The fuel and electric supply reset shall be manual."

If this is the case then with a contactor, as soon as the Ansul system is reset, the power to the coil will be restored, energizing the circuits that were previously disconnected. This would not be a manual reset would it? Am I thinking too much into it?

IMO, No you are not, unless you incorporate a reset into a contactor set-up, it is not being

done per 'standards'. You can probally 'get away' with it over and over, but that is up to

you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Every hood fire suppression system I have seen requires the entire system to be "reset" manually (built into the mechanics of the system).
I would think this would suffice for your contactor as the system would need to be manually reset prior to your contactor engaging.
The inclusion of the term "fuel" strengthens my thoughts, IMHO, as the mechanics to the fuel valves are built into the "reset" on the suppression system.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"The actuation of the fire extinguishing system shall automatically shut down the fuel or electric power to the cooking equipment. The fuel and electric supply reset shall be manual."

If this is the case then with a contactor, as soon as the Ansul system is reset, the power to the coil will be restored, energizing the circuits that were previously disconnected. This would not be a manual reset would it? Am I thinking too much into it?
To me, resetting the Ansul system is not going to happen until the suppression-system guys come in to refill the chemical bottle.

So, I see that as a manual reset that won't happen during the fire.

restaurant

restaurant

I ran a job for my company doing a Perkins restaurant. The exhaust fans were hooked to the ansil system in a stainless steal box using contacters. But what didnt make to much sense was the main breaker that fed the restaurant and half of a major hotel was a shunt trip that wasnt hooked to the fire alarm and had one button in the back of the restaurant that if u pushed it, it triped the main and all power was lost. :-?

benaround

IMO, If it is left up to the Ansul guy to be the 'manual' reset, then the rule would not have

to be written! The worst case senario has to be considered. Such as: Ansul man shows up

at the end of the day to put in new bottle and restore the Ansul system, the Owner has

had a tuff day and hurries the Ansul man up, They leave, all the equipment starts heating

up agian, nothing was cleaned up and another fire starts. Is it the Ansul mans' job to check

the electric ? Not the ones that I have seen!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Just when you think it's safe to go in the water..................:grin:
Rick gave me the ammo I needed....it's not a source of heat...
then someone points to the NEMA1 disconnect under the hood and standard receptacle covers and asks about the "wet" extinguishing system....
when the system trips what hazards are introduced with "live" electrical under the spray ???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Just when you think it's safe to go in the water..................:grin:
Rick gave me the ammo I needed....it's not a source of heat...
then someone points to the NEMA1 disconnect under the hood and standard receptacle covers and asks about the "wet" extinguishing system....
when the system trips what hazards are introduced with "live" electrical under the spray ???

no takers on the NEMA 1 under a wet extinguishing system ????

Status
Not open for further replies.