Asked 3 RI based inspectors
2 ahj and 1 third party inspection service
all say it is required if the shaft is sprinklered
only exceptions are elev built specially for occupant evac use
and then a variance is required: special car, shaft construction, controls, etc
which allows deletion of the sprinkler requirement

apparently not

:D

Yet still .... in the real world, under the direct supervision of state elevator inspectors we disabled the shunts at countless locations. As I said this would have been around 2005.

Ingenieur

:D

Yet still .... in the real world, under the direct supervision of state elevator inspectors we disabled the shunts at countless locations. As I said this would have been around 2005.

It's 2016
and the.people I asked are actual inspectors (not countless)
3 to be precise

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's 2016
and the.people I asked are actual inspectors (not countless)
3 to be precise

Well, that settles it then. The next time I have an argument with an elevator inspector I will simply state in a firm and unwavering tone, "Some anonymous dude on the internet with no practical experience claims to have spoken to three equally anonymous RI inspectors about this issue and he disagrees with you." That will definitely end the argument.

Did you ever did up the codes you claimed require an electrical time delay and shunt override switch, or did that also stem from conversations with shadowy figures in smoky bars over scotch on the rocks?

If Bob asserts that RI required removal of shunts, I will take him at his word because I have never caught him in a lie.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
:thumbsup:

All this because the OP couldn't distinguish between the shunt trip coil in a circuit breaker or disconnect switch and the button that operated it.

At least I haven't seen anyone suggest we go to Wiki for an official opinion.

donaldelectrician

All this because the OP couldn't distinguish between the shunt trip coil in a circuit breaker or disconnect switch and the button that operated it.

So what is the out come So What is the result ?

Don

ohmhead

I like you response you don't have a clue to what your talking about .

Yes we know what a shunt trip BUTTON is ! Theirs a big difference between a SHUNT BUTTON and a shunt breaker. We install them on every building or project we do its building fire code. My question was on a SERVICE and if you read the post they changed it to a elevator which has nothing to do with my original question so go back and read the first post. I wanted to know if it was in the NEC code that's why I came to Mike Holts .

A elevator is controlled by a heat detector in shaft if it detects heat it flat out trips the breaker controlling the elevator and it stops period . That's what happens in our state and its inspected by the state elevator inspector on every job.

A service is controlled by a shunt trip mushroom button.

Mounted in a N3R glass box a tiny metal hammer is used to break the glass that covers the button . When you need to shut power off this is for the fire dept they smash the glass it sends 120v or 24 volts to shunt coil on main breaker . So they don't get electrocuted when they put out the fire inside building . Its mounted at 7 ft because that's a building code in our state or city. You don't fight a fire with electric on.
We even shunt trip generators but that button is mounted on the outside on generator itself.

So question was totally different then answers there was only one guy who actually answered my question .

dkidd

Occupation
PE
They weren't yes or no questions. It boiled down to is it NEC or building code. I said it probably was a utility or fire department requirement. OP later brought up fire fighting as the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.