SIEMENS AFCI - Class Action Law Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
A proposed class action alleges a certain type of circuit breaker made by Siemens Industry is defective in that it is unable to distinguish between harmless and dangerous electrical arcs.

Attachments

• AFCI - ‘Nuisance’ Tripping, Class Action .pdf
    363.2 KB · Views: 52

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Strange that Siemens seems to be one of the brands that does not nuisance trip?
Looks like the case has no movement in a year?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
It'd be interesting if someone could finance the case and the research the products are only marginally safer. I do believe that afci breakers can add some safety like tripping from unlisted plug in devices and the ones with gfpe detecting ground faults. There's also the benefit of them keeping power tools out of garages and if you can't have tools then less projects and therefor less oil soaked rags in a pile

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It'd be interesting if someone could finance the case and the research the products are only marginally safer. I do believe that afci breakers can add some safety like tripping from unlisted plug in devices and the ones with gfpe detecting ground faults. There's also the benefit of them keeping power tools out of garages and if you can't have tools then less projects and therefor less oil soaked rags in a pile
Huh? How does that work? Most any decent newer power tool should work on AFCI. Oil soaked rags in a pile are not affected by power availability. It just makes the fire investigation harder because they can't blame "electrical".

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Huh? How does that work? Most any decent newer power tool should work on AFCI. Oil soaked rags in a pile are not affected by power availability. It just makes the fire investigation harder because they can't blame "electrical".
New out of box Bosh and dewalt miter saws trip the afcis. Not just siemens but all of them. The oil rags are a joke because no power tools means no projects. Just like condos not letting you work on a motorcycle inside your private garage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why would you expect that? The appliance and tool manufacturers have no idea of how to design their equipment to prevent false trips because each of the AFCI manufacturers have their own proprietary algorithms that determine what their AFCI devices see as a harmful arcing fault. Until those algorithms are made freely available to the tool, appliance and other equipment manufacturers this problem will continue to exist.

Occupation
EC - retired
Why would you expect that? The appliance and tool manufacturers have no idea of how to design their equipment to prevent false trips because each of the AFCI manufacturers have their own proprietary algorithms that determine what their AFCI devices see as a harmful arcing fault. Until those algorithms are made freely available to the tool, appliance and other equipment manufacturers this problem will continue to exist.
Why? Because personal experience has shown newer stuff doesn't trip mine.

Disclaimer: my AFCIs are 14 years old and maybe I should go press the test button.

I had a dual function on the shop workbench that never tripped either.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Disclaimer: my AFCIs are 14 years old and maybe I should go press the test button.

But plenty of others have brand new out of the box equipment that trips the devices
The AFCI manufactures are trying to tell us that they know every normal arc signature of every piece of equipment that has been produced in teh past and that will be produced within the life of the AFCI...not even remotely possible.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

The old branch circuit, feeder ones did not nuisance trip near as bad as the combination series, parallel one do.
If you had a fancy television, late model expensive refrigerator, or a power tool that had soft start technology it would have.

Occupation
EC - retired
So you got combination afci durring their first production run and before any local codes had gone to 08?
The combination were supposed to start being used in Jan, IIRC. My house was set after that. I made them come out and replace with the newer ones.
Wardcraft. Custom built, in factory, stick framed. Not a mobile or the typical mfg home with cheap donkey poop everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.