SIEMENS AFCI - Class Action Law Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Ahh makes sense. I am finally about to replace the 1971 split buss FPE panel in my own house next week, I am not required to upgrade to AFCI's on a panel change in Oregon so I am going to use Siemens 30ma GFPE (RCD) breakers for 15 and 20A 120V circuits.
I want to know if I have more than 30ma flowing on a EGC.
I will put AFCI's on the two bedroom circuits.
You can be selective with those they do draw current. You should have GFCI devices on certain circuits as you replace things. Maybe skip those for the GFPE breakers.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Why? Because personal experience has shown newer stuff doesn't trip mine.

Disclaimer: my AFCIs are 14 years old and maybe I should go press the test button.

I had a dual function on the shop workbench that never tripped either.
Two of the three failed.
Replaced them with dual function units because that is all my supplier had.
Things have changed. I didn't remember the old had 30ma ground fault detection. All sorts of diagnostics plus smaller footprint. Nice.
MDSW broke one wrist and sprained the other so no vacuum tests scheduled for a day or two

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Hello! Siemens has been named in a lawsuit claiming that its AFCIs have excessive “nuisance tripping.” Siemens very strongly disputes these allegations. Siemens stands by its products, which work as intended and fully meet all applicable UL specifications (which include tripping standards). Notably, there is no claim whatsoever in the lawsuit that Siemens’ AFCIs fail to trip during arcing, or are otherwise dangerous or unsafe. We cannot comment further in light of pending litigation. Siemens offers easily-accessible technical support to electricians and customers with questions about its AFCI products, including tripping. We will continue to support purchasers, as always, in identifying and addressing the actual cause of any tripping issues. If support is needed, please call us! 1-800-333-7421

Put a "Diagnostic" wireless chip in the breakers, so you can go online and see what the breakers see.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
New out of box Bosh and dewalt miter saws trip the afcis. Not just siemens but all of them. The oil rags are a joke because no power tools means no projects. Just like condos not letting you work on a motorcycle inside your private garage.
I think the real issue is people using gasoline to clean parts. While smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.