Siemens AFCI nuisance tripping ...help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

W@ttson

And why should we as either a contractor or the final consumer need to replace these items just because they updated the firmware? This just one of the major problems I have with the AFCI's in general. They forced them into code so they could sell them, but they were not perfected yet. Being able to update firmware in the field would IMO would be one of the best improvements they could make on them so far. Is possible for a lot of other software driven items and has been even way back when you had to update firmware by replacing a program module chip but not the entire piece of equipment or have a special flashing device to reprogram that chip.
Whole heartedly agree. The way I stumbled upon this post is I googled “when will AFCI breakers stop nuisances tripping”. It is quite remarkable how they are able to bring something to market with such flaws. What got me thinking about that question was because I got a call regarding half the outlets not working in a kitchen, it was a couple year old installation. Went there and it was the AFCI. So I figured, it’s 2020, maybe they updated it again and people don’t have this issue anymore. Wrong .

kwired

Electron manager
Whole heartedly agree. The way I stumbled upon this post is I googled “when will AFCI breakers stop nuisances tripping”. It is quite remarkable how they are able to bring something to market with such flaws. What got me thinking about that question was because I got a call regarding half the outlets not working in a kitchen, it was a couple year old installation. Went there and it was the AFCI. So I figured, it’s 2020, maybe they updated it again and people don’t have this issue anymore. Wrong .
Lots of things have flaws. Lots of them are fixed with product recalls.

This one took it's own identity though.

They were tasked with producing something that would detect arcing faults, they did, but with issues and side effects.

They could have simply released them to the market in general, but who is going to buy something that doesn't really work right?

Instead they wanted to start seeing a return on their research and development even though they didn't have the greatest product. So how do you assure it will sell? You convince the code making panels, even if it takes a lot of $$ and lobbying to get it done, that it is something needed in the code. You set up demonstrations that show benefits, but don't show anything that would be seen as a negative to convince them this is the miracle electrical product of several decades.

Then they get eased into code slowly, first just in bedrooms. Then over a few code cycles they are in most of the house.

Then when some your lies are exposed they get product improvements to cover it up. The first generation were initially supposed to do what the later released combination parallel and series fault detecting products supposedly do.

The whole product line started with a fairly legitimate request but went into greed for getting returns on investments.

And contractors especially are the biggest losers in all of this mess when it comes to standing behind your installations yet still trying to comply with codes.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Interesting thread and mostly still relevant, but in keeping with Forum procedures, this is almost 2 years old and should be closed. A new thread is welcome if anyone wants to continue the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.