Siemens breaker compatible with ITE panel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is a Siemens circuit breaker compatible with an ITE service panel in a residence? My supply house says Siemens bought ITE and is compatible. Do inspectors allow installing Siemens breakers in an old ITE panel? Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
Didn't Siemens for the most part keep the same product line and just started putting their name on them? I believe catalog numbers are even the same as ITE was.

Sure over the years there were some minor changes as well as new items (AFCI for one thing) but ITE would have had similar changes and similar new items if they remained.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Siemens IS the owner of all things ITE when it comes to low voltage breakers. Their breakers are not just "compatible" with ITE, they ARE EXACTLY THE SAME breakers, they haven't changed in 25 years or more. There is no difference other than the company name.

They (Siemens) have documentation available to users and contractors for providing to AHJs, including the same thing for Murray (also Siemens). Getting that document can be difficult even if you use an official Siemens distributor (I used to be the guy that had and disseminated that letter, they eliminated my position), but if you buy from retail or surplus distributors, it will be impossible.

growler

Is a Siemens circuit breaker compatible with an ITE service panel in a residence? My supply house says Siemens bought ITE and is compatible. Do inspectors allow installing Siemens breakers in an old ITE panel? Thank you.

Something to look for: On the data labels inside the panel or on the door there is usually a list of breaker types that can be used in a panel. If the breaker you install is on that list it's pretty hard for anyone to question it.

kwired

Electron manager
Something to look for: On the data labels inside the panel or on the door there is usually a list of breaker types that can be used in a panel. If the breaker you install is on that list it's pretty hard for anyone to question it.
But a panel with an ITE label had that label printed before Siemens acquired the company, it won't list Siemens on it at all. Same goes for a panel with Westinghouse label on it and Eaton BR circuit breakers.

norcal

The model numbers for Gould/ITE, Siemens-Allis, (ITE Electrical Products), & Siemens, EQ frame breakers has not been changed since Gould Inc introduced the current design around 1979.

growler

But a panel with an ITE label had that label printed before Siemens acquired the company, it won't list Siemens on it at all. Same goes for a panel with Westinghouse label on it and Eaton BR circuit breakers.

That's not what I'm saying.

It was not necessary for siemens to acquire ITE for them to allow type SA breakers and maybe even BR. If you look at the breakers list in some of those old panels you may be surprised by the number of different breakers that were allowed even on the original install. Eaten got the type BR from Bryant and they have been around a long time.

On some of the old panels this data may be misssing but many times it's just a little hard to read ( dirty and discolored).

kwired

Electron manager
The model numbers for Gould/ITE, Siemens-Allis, (ITE Electrical Products), & Siemens, EQ frame breakers has not been changed since Gould Inc introduced the current design around 1979.
You sure about 1979?

I have seen (original installed) ITE breakers of that design in buildings constructed in mid 1960's several times.

norcal

You sure about 1979?

I have seen (original installed) ITE breakers of that design in buildings constructed in mid 1960's several times.

The ITE Circuit Breaker Company, & ITE Imperial Corp., breakers from the '60's, & '70's, were a different case design then what is sold today.

kwired

Electron manager
The ITE Circuit Breaker Company, & ITE Imperial Corp., breakers from the '60's, & '70's, were a different case design then what is sold today.
I agree they definitely have some differences, but they are still basically the same product, just with improvements. A 1960's QO breaker has differences as well compared to today, so does GE and Cutler Hammer CH, they are also considered same product line as they were back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.