Single receptacle for microwave / range hood? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Issue like these I fight with the inspector unless he can prove otherwise.

It is like the cop gives you a $25 ticket because he does not like the way you parked. Or he gives you a ticket for a violation that does not exist. Of course you will fight the ticket and will not give in.

kwired

Electron manager
I get where you coming from, I really do. I never said that we should be walked on by inspectors and I understand that whenever possible we shouldn't feed the beast when it comes to inspectors that are cavalier in their application of code.

On the other hand, imho, we need to be realistic- What that inspector wanted was not that big of a deal. The inspector was mistaken, but c'mon. What he wanted was at least code compliant, wasn't entirely unreasonable, was cost neutral at worst, and would have taken all of two minutes to do-hardly worth a red tag just to prove a point. It should be sop to question inspectors, but if they ultimately won't bend over something this small, I still say let it go.

In many cases by arguing over something trivial like the op posted you may make your job easier by making it clear you won't tolerate their nonsense, but it can also backfire big time. In many ahjs, being argumentative over this kind of stuff will not make your existence as an ec any easier down the road. You run the real chance of being seen as "that guy who does things his way" and this isn't good. Many inspectors take delight in punishing "citers" who always have a reason for why they shouldn't have to do something, no matter how insignificant it is. They do this to put them in their place and they nail them over every real or imagined violation they can. Its rotten and grossly unfair, but it happens all the time, so no, in many ahjs being argumentive over the small potatoes doesn't take care of a problem you may have later on "when it comes to big money issues."

There is no point is making unnecessary enemies out of people that could conceivably be in their appointed positions for 40 years and who you may have to deal with repeatedly until you retire. Remember too that while many inspectors are a huge problem (don't know, won't accept their boundaries and desperately need a code book), there are also many who are down to earth, pretty sharp (many have retired from doing what we do), do an overall excellent job and occasionally slip up (like we all do) when interpreting the NEC. They aren't bullies-their simply trying to do their job to the best of their abilities.

Imo, if we're going to risk getting tagged by one of these guys, we need to make sure its actually worth it, and I don't think that the ops situation qualifies.
But what is the cost if you are 100 miles from the supply house, and if you can't fix it while he is there then it costs you a reinspection fee, plus whatever time you put into coming back to fix it, and maybe time when he comes back to reinspect? Plus maybe it is also 40-50 miles from your shop. That is reality for some around these parts.

If you think nothing is wrong as is seems worth fighting it to me.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Did Tom Brady cheat?

Well...I'm not a sports guy but I find it incredibly hard to believe he didn't know. It's not like that was the first time he threw a football. :p
I'm not a big sports guy either, but the fact that he had a guy nicknamed The Deflater seals the deal for me.

As far as arguing with inspectors it is a case by case deal. Sometimes it is easier to just do what he says and move on. When I do argue with an inspector I don't do it angrily, I just talk to them.....Well shucks, are you sure? Can you give me a code reference?

I have no doubt I have won more than one disagreement just by pulling my code book out of the truck since most other guys don't carry one, or even own one.

user 100

But what is the cost if you are 100 miles from the supply house, and if you can't fix it while he is there then it costs you a reinspection fee, plus whatever time you put into coming back to fix it, and maybe time when he comes back to reinspect? Plus maybe it is also 40-50 miles from your shop. That is reality for some around these parts.

If you think nothing is wrong as is seems worth fighting it to me.

Ok, if you had the single or if he would accepting splitting the terminals, I would still do it just to shut him up. Any inconvienence must also be weighed against the inspector failing you and you having to come back and fix it anyway to satisfy him.

Again, I think in these very small, cost neutral or less, not going to take too long at all scenarios-I think just comply. Anything bigger and it does need to be argued.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think it comes down to whether the EI accepts the split receptacle or not. You're meeting the intent of the Code (if there is one specific to this case) by only having one part of the duplex receptacle working . Besides, how many of us carry single receptacles in our work vans ? What are the chances that someone is going to plug in a 6 outlet power strip into the receptacle in the small cabinet over the range ? It's got to be a million to one shot. If someone wants to commit a Code violation, no matter what you do to try and prevent it, they're going to violate the Code.

user 100

I don't think it comes down to whether the EI accepts the split receptacle or not. You're meeting the intent of the Code (if there is one specific to this case) by only having one part of the duplex receptacle working . Besides, how many of us carry single receptacles in our work vans ? What are the chances that someone is going to plug in a 6 outlet power strip into the receptacle in the small cabinet over the range ? It's got to be a million to one shot. If someone wants to commit a Code violation, no matter what you do to try and prevent it, they're going to violate the Code.

:thumbsup: Precisely. If someone is going to plug in a microwave and whatever assorted doo hickeys into a small power strip and then insert that into a single/half duplex and burn their house to the ground , we really can't stop them. If it meets code before you leave that property, thats good enough imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.